Carnival Spirit Cruise Review to Alaska - Inside Passage

Costly, but good cruise

Sail Date: May 31, 2011

The ship was good. The rooms (we had an extended balcony) were bigger than I thought (four of us, so, still cramped, but, we got by).

The food was hit and miss. I had a couple really good meals and then four of five largely mediocre meals.

The shows and entertainment were good. General shows, gambling, comedy were all solidly entertaining.

Activities for kids under 11 were good and inventive. For teens, not so much. My 14 year old wasn't interested in any of the activities so tended to just buddy up and walk around the ship.

Pros: The activities and multitude of excursion choices

Cons: The cost - not sure that the cruise was worth the cost

Recommends Carnival Spirit? Yes!

Some good, some bad. For the price of this cruise you'd think that the meals would be more consistent.
Most of the child activities seemed to be below age appropriate.
Clean and reasonably roomy.
This staff was great. I've never met such a large number of staff in one place who were so helpful, friendly, and useful.
Skagway, Alaska
We did the dog sledding excursion. It was cool, but, certainly not worth the money. $150 per person to ride on a go cart powered by dogs...for fifteen minutes. The dogs are cool, but, don't do it, you will be disappointed if you don't just have money to burn.
Don't Miss: The shopping was good (not that I really like shopping)
Ketchikan, Alaska
We did zip lining. It was a lot of fun. I would have liked more than seven zip lines, but, it was fun nonetheless. And, very cool crowd of people showing you how to do it properly. I'd do it again. Again, Ketchikan is a tourist trap. Unless you're into buying jewelry, I wouldn't spend much time in town.
Victoria, British Columbia
I know Victoria is cool, I've been there before. but, when you only have four hours late in the evening, your best bet is a carriage tour.
Don't Miss: The carriage tour on on the waterfront side of the parliament building - ask for Marina...the happiest woman alive
Juneau, Alaska
We did whale watching and it was a good 2.5 hours. We saw killer whales, humpbacks, seals, etc. It was worth it to go see all that. Only had an hour around the town, but, it's like all the others..faux 1800s storefronts meant to attract the boat tourists.
Don't Miss: whale watching.