Carnival Spirit Cruise Review to Alaska - Gulf of Alaska

Spectacular from start to finish!

Sail Date: August 09, 2006

My favorites about the Carnival Spirit were the bubbling hot tub in the spa located at the front of the ship. It was covered and inside with windows overlooking the bow. You could see the ocean all around you while relaxing. I went there almost every day, whether it was after an interesting tour or to relieve sore muscles because I danced a little too much in the lounge the night before.

Pros: The Grand Finale was seeing the glaciers and hearing the cracking as they calved!

Cons: Trivia and other games could have been held in one of the lounges with more intimate surroundings.

My dining pleasure was enriched by the presentation and flavor of the food and the service I received by the wait staff. The menu provided ample selections from which to pick, and the taste of the food was excellent!
My first time with a balcony stateroom. Wow! I was pleasantly surprised with size not only of the room but of the bathroom. Our room steward did an excellent job.
I participated in card and trivia games, bingo, crafts, and attended the shows in the lounge as well as trying my luck in the casino. I browsed in the shops and won a pair of tanzanite earrings in a raffle! The shops had items that appealed to all with nice selections of memorbilia and gift items as well as fine quality jewelry.
Whoever said you can't get enough exercise on a cruise ship must not have participated in cruise activities. I found there were varied activities from bow to stern and all were readily accessible. The glass elevators and view from the atrium gave a bird's eye view of all the activities. The curtain in the main lounge dazzled the eye.Eating in the dining room was enhanced by the huge windows. Our first night out we saw the full moon rising over the ocean and then disappear into the clouds.
Ketchikan, Alaska
The Saxman Village and Bight Totem Park were of particular interest to me. The LumberJack show provided great entertainment.
Juneau, Alaska
I explored on my own and ate at the Red Dog Salloon, a unique extablishment with sawdust on the floor, a piano player and stuffed animal heads of all types on the walls. Later that day, I took an historical tour of Juneau. I did not care for the cannery tour as I had seen that before. (For someone who hasn't seen the salmon cycle of life it is very interesting.)
Skagway, Alaska
This was my fifth time to Skagway, so I decided to see something I had not seen before. I took the streetcar tour and toured Skagway with a narrator who seemed to really love her job!
Don't Miss: For the first time cruiser, in Skagway, I recommend the White Pass Railroad.
Sitka, Alaska
Sitka is one of my favorite ports, so I was very happy to be stopping there. I like the quaintness of the city, rich in history, and Totem Park.