Carnival Pride Cruise Review to Caribbean - Bahamas

Third Mate

Was a nice vacation, but not end all be all

Sail Date: April 14, 2013

The boat was very clean and personnel were very nice and attentive. There wasn't much space on the ship so I always felt crowded, the times that food (besides main dining) and activities were available was very chaotic. The pools were too small and the fact that there were two didn't help much because one seemed to always be closed. For the cruise line that is supposed to be more for families, I was not at all impressed by the activities available for children. We brought my 12 year old daughter, who is very out going and makes friends instantly, she attended one initial Circle C event and went back many times to check out what they were doing, but she never stayed. So that should tell you something if a 12 year old would rather be with their parents than to be off free on their own with other kids their age. That would not have been so bad, but the shore excursions weren't that great either and times in port were far too short so you really couldn't let lose and enjoy yourself because you had to be back so quickly and you had to watch the clock. I would much rather have skipped going to Port Canaveral and been able to spend more time at the two Bahamas locations. Lastly, being a smaller ship it was tossed about pretty easily during the ship and many people were very sea sick for two of the four sea days. We parked next to the Carnival Magic once and the Pride was dwarfed by the newer Magic.
Was very clean, had a very odd renassance art theme with quite a few naked people, if you know that type of art. This made the ship interior feel much older and didn't induce the party vibe, that's for sure.
I am not a big foody so maybe my comments are not for everyone. Some of the main dining food was great, there was a lot of exotic foods. I saw a lot of food waste which bothered me. I not likeing all that serious food would rather eat at the buffee dining etc and those had very stargne hours that seemed to change all the time where one station would be open with hot dog, hamburgers etc then it would close in the middle of a main dining time and then the subs and sandwiches section would open. It was very hard to plan to eat there it seemed totally hit or miss as to what was open and closed and the lines were very long. And the seeming popularity of the type of station seemed to have no baring on how many of that type station there were or how long they were open. You would think if half the people want to get a particular thing (which you can tell by the constant huge line the entire open time) that they would have several of those stations and leave those open the entire dining time.
We had an outside balcony room 5140, it was much bigger than I expected from the tiny room descriptions I have heard. The room was clean, the cabin stewart was EXCELLENT. No issues at all. Well, our safe didn't work, but that was it.
They were all very cherful and helpful. The cruise director was new, it was not his ship, he was replacing the main person. He did an OK job, but you could tell he wasn't "at one witht he crew yet".
I said OK instead of good as I thought there would be more entertainment. The entertainers themselves were between good and excellent. This made it kind of strange to watch as there were soem dancers on stage that were obviously excellent talents on stage with some who were just OK and the difference was very obvious. Overall though they were good. We had one night with a new dance and singing crew, it was their first night of the change over of the enterainers and boy did it show that it was their first time. At least I hope it was because it was their first time, hoping that won't be their typical performance.
As I said my 12 year old went to Circle C once and didn't like it, she was bbored. She went back to check out the activities many times, but never stayed. So if a 12 year old would rather be with their parents, rather than being free to hang out on their own with other kids their age, that should tell you the whole story. I didn't have any kids their, but I believe it would have been even worse if she were 11 instead of 12, because they group 6-11 year olds together. I think that is rediculous and that section seemed much more aligned to the very youngest kids. I am not sure how they think that an 11 year old would want to have anything to do with a bunch of 6 year olds.
They ran the gambit from funny and fun to boring, but that is probably an individual taste. The only real universal complaint would probably be that they didn't spread activities out enough, a lot of them were at the same time or during the dining hours.
We went on an aligator air boat ride at Port Canaveral, it was OK but it was an overcast day so not really many alligators to see. Not their fault that is just a day by day thing, but an excursion to be really rated well should be a consistent experience I think. There was an animal rescue showing animals there and that was the best part. The time in port was far too short. Would have rather skipped this stop and spent more time at the other two ports. At Nassau the next stop we had a bit of extra time, we went to Atlantis water park. Atlantis was good, it was a total disorganized mess getting there from disembarking until arriving, it was a mess and took over an hour. Knowing they probably do that same song and dance MANY times a week, I have no idea how it isn't down pat like clock work. Just so you know somethings we were not told that would help. Towels are included so you don't need to bring your own. It is a cashless place, everything is credit card only so you don't need to and shouldn't bring money. That would have helped for the next item which is there are only about 500 lockers and they run out of them, the place is enourmous and probably had several hundred people just from our ship and while there, the Carnival Magic (much larger than our ship) and some NCL cruise were there so just those ships probably meant there were close to 1000 or so cruisers alone. So with all those extra people and all the land they had, to only have that few lockers was kind of odd. Anyway back to the point, unless you want to be tied to your bags don't bring anything that you would really worry about being stolen.
Baltimore, Maryland
No problmes getting on or off
Port Canaveral, Florida
Plenty of stuff to do
Quite a variety available, but stay is too short.
Freeport, Grand Bahama Island
Very limited excursions, very weather dependent for a lot of them (wind being the main culprit) and the time there is FAR TOO short.

Go early to the main shows for good seats. Don't wait in line for your main dining room time just go down 5 minutes after your time & walk right to your table. The very first day takes a while longer because people don't know where their tables are yet so maybe go 15 minutes later on the first day.