Carnival Magic Cruise Review to Caribbean - Eastern

Sail Date: May 14, 2016

My favorite part of the cruise was the Cruise Director and his enthusiasm and interaction with the guests. He kept us pumped and involved 24/7.  He kept us abreast anything going on the ship and encouraged passengers to get involved.

The only part of the cruise that was disappointing was the change in how we would get our alcohol that we purchased.  On previous cruises the alcohol was delivered to our cabins the night before disembarking and we had time to include it our luggage. Having to get up early( before 6:00 a.m.) to get to a designated point to pick up the alcohol, only to find out that our alcohol and several other passengers alcohol had been mislabeled by their  names and cabin numbers.  My husband and I was one of the first passengers to pickup our alcohol, only to find out that one of our packages was had someone else room number and name on it.  It took us nearly an hour (we found the package) to get everything straightened out and then had to return to our cabin to prepare to leave.

BIG DISAPPOINTMENT!!!! I paid for this trip in full in January or early February and told by the travel agent that I would receive a 3 category upgrade that included an extended balcony which was NOT TRUE. The cabin was fine, but I was VERY DISAPPOINTED I did not receive the upgrade discussed during the planning of my trip. When I inquired at the desk, I was told I needed to talk to my travel agent about the mixup.

Having to get up early to retrieve purchased alcohol caused us not to have our luggage to picked up at night (previously we had to have our luggage outside our door by a designated time the night prior) outside our door caused us (me and my husband)l to have to get our 4 pieces of luggage and carryons down to the pier ourselves, I have a back problem, so it was mostly on my husband.

The food in the dining room was good with the exception of the prime rib steak that was not what I remembered (as good) from previous trips. Also, there is a big problem with the fried chicken. Each time I have cruised with Carnival (3x) the fried chicken tasted old. Either it is being fried in old oil , it has not been stored properly, or it is a hen and not a chicken. When we bit into the chicken the meat and the bones were very dark and the chicken was slimy and taste terrible. We asked and other passengers had the same experience who at the chicken. It scared me, I did not want to get sick. I was disappointed. Also, some of the servers who fix the omlets at breakfast on the LIDO deck, have an attitude with regard to requests for fresh eggs and overlook certain passengers (of color) when serving the food. Also, the omlets are very greasy. After the third day when I asked that not so much oil be used, the server continued to fix the omlet the way he wanted. Also, every day the bacon was under cooked and greasy. Someone needs to drain the grease off the bacon prior serving it to the passengers. Further, you might want to change the tile/flooring in the dining room on the LIDO deck because it is very slick, just waiting for an accident or slip and fall. Overall the food on the Lido deck and in the dinning room was good with the exceptions I listed above.
Port Canaveral, Florida
Amber Cove (Puerto Plata), Dominican Republic
Be prepared for a long walk from the ship to the welcome station (at least a mile)
Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Grand Turk Island

Choose early dining and find out the rules regarding any alcohol you purchase prior to your purchase.

1 Comment