Carnival Magic Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

Very Nice Cruise

Sail Date: August 30, 2015

Room Type: Suite

This was my fourth cruise and my wife and I had a really good time.  The Carnival Magic has a lot to offer and the staff works really hard to make sure that you are comfortable.  We had Ocean Suite number 7375.  The priority embarkation process that comes with the suite was awesome compared to past embarkation experiences (including priority embarkation with Royal Caribbean).  We were on the ship from the parking lot in 30 mins.  The ship itself for the most part was clean.  There was an issue with us having dirty sheets, which were immediately replaced with clean ones, and around the third day there was a bit of a sewage smell in the bathroom that would come and go.  The theater shows were very underwhelming.  the comedy shows were hilarious.  The food was average.  We ate at the stake house on the second day.  Good stake, but not worth the $35 per person cover charge.  I cruise for relaxation during sea days, and adventure and excitement during the port days.  That said, my biggest complaint about this cruise was the inability to relax on the balcony of our state room.  The state room balconies are overlooking a deck with chairs and a hot tub instead of being directly off the ocean like every other ship I've been on.  There was a constant stream of loud kids and drunken adults making constant noise in the hot tub and on the deck.  I read reviews with the same complaint prior to the cruise but hopped that they were more of an exaggeration.  THEY WERE NOT.  I couldn't even sit on the balcony and read for 30 mins.  The shore excursions were awesome, and Carnival was very organized about their tender process in Belize.  The disembarkation process was organized on the ship but pretty chaotic and unorganized in the terminal.  Overall good cruise.  My only complaints were the state room balconies, the dirty sheets and faint sewage smell in the bathroom, the theater shows, and chaos in the disembarkation terminal.  To those who have never cruised it may sound like a lot of complaints, but it's really not.  There are a ton of things to do on the ship so the shows being bad is not a deal killer, the stained sheets were immediately changed, and disembarkation is rarely smooth in my experience.  If you do value your stateroom balcony, however, Carnival Magic may not be the ship for you.  It is not for me.

I can't give it a high mark because around day three there was a sewage smell in the bathroom that would come and go. And no, it was not from us, the smell was there even when we would come back to the cabin after cleaning. Also the balcony was not private nor quite as it overlooked a deck. The room was spacious. The layout a little dysfunctional in that the vanity area is right in front of the bathroom door and my wife spends quite a bit of time in the vanity so I had to fight through her to get to the bathroom.
Priority embarkation was so good that I have to give this category high marks in spite of the challenges with disembarkation. Leaving the ship during disembarkation was very organized, but in the terminal they did not have our bags together creating a bag hunt among passengers and Carnival staff told passengers that it did not matter which customs line you went to when one was for passports and one was for birth certificates, resulting in the lines being pretty chaotic.
Awesome, Awesome, Awesome. We did the speedboat and snorkeling in Cozumel, cave tubing in Belize, and the Boss underwater scooter and snorkeling in Honduras.
Ton to do. I will say that I was disappointed that the basketball court closed at 5:30 every day.
Comedy shows YESSSS, theater shows NOOOO
Very friendly and helpful.
Steakhouse was good but not worth the cover. Deli was good, rest of the food was ok.

Think about the drawback to the balcony before booking a suite.