Carnival Liberty Cruise Review to Caribbean - Southern

Third Mate

Wonderful First-Time Experience

Sail Date: February 21, 2016

I was not sure what to expect. Friends warned me about masses of screaming kids. Others warned me it would be all shuffle board and old retirees. We booked the cruise well in advance to make sure we got the best possible room. The sales rep did a wonderful job sussing out where the noise would be less, making sure we were not near the engines or above a bar, and closer to the adult area — yes, there is a section in the front of the boat called Serenity, labeled 18 and over only. Our room was just below that. Food was delicious and plentiful. We tried everything, pizza and burgers immediately after returning from our island excursions, dinner in the Gold Olympian, dinner in the steakhouse, breakfasts and dinners on the Lido deck, or in the Silver Olympian. The night club, the parties by the pool, the movies on the big screen. It was wonderful. The staff was wonderful. I love the little towel animals that would show up in our room! I had read the ship was older, but it was fresh and clean and well maintained. On several returns we could see why: Once as we returned from our island excursion we saw maintenance workers painting the outside of the ship. As we returned to San Juan, there were workers restaining the wood paneling in one of the dining areas. I was suitably impressed. The islands were beautiful. This was a terrific itinerary, and a wonderful first exposure to Carnival cruising. Will we do it again? You bet, we're already talking about it. Thank you Carnival for making this first time, the best time.

We especially enjoyed the comedy. We kept going back for more, and it never disappointed.

Excursions are great, but in some places you may want to simply hire a cab to drive you around. You can actually see more and at the pacing just right for you. A lot of cab drivers, especially in Barbados, are happy to act as tour guides and are surprisingly knowledgeable.