Carnival Glory Cruise Review to Caribbean - Eastern

Glorious Glory!

Sail Date: May 09, 2009

Traveled As: Family w/young children

I've sailed Carnival three times before, and this was by far my favorite ship! Before I boarded, thought it might be too big to navigate and fully enjoy, but it took me no time to learn my way around. The only problems I had with the layout is that one of the dining rooms (Golden) was in the middle of the ship on Decks 3 and 4, and closed except for dinner time. This meant that when we were forward on the ship, we had to go up, around, and back down to get to the other side of deck 3 or 4, which was sometimes a nuisance.
The other drawback was that the comedy shows and cocktail parties were in the aft Ebony lounge, which was far smaller than the main theater. This made for some pretty tight standing-room-only spaces, which in retrospect, was probably a fire hazard as well. I'm not sure if such a huge attendance was a rarity or just bad venue planning on Carnival's part, though.

Pros: Great ship, with an awesome crew!

Cons: Having to leave; no more past guest pins; the evening comedy shows and cocktail parties were in over-crowded lounges

Recommends Carnival Glory? Yes!

Philipsburg, St. Maarten
This was our favorite port this cruise! The island was beautiful, the people were kind and friendly, and the deals were awesome! Us 3 women went shopping in Philipsburg while hubby took our daughter to the beach to play. We all had a fabulous time, and I already have most of my Christmas shopping done, thanks to the great deals I found!
Don't Miss: Shopping!; And make sure you try the sweet guavaberry rum - it's delish!
Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas
We did a 2-hour tour of the island, and although it was pouring down rain when we arrived, we still enjoyed the sites. The shopping wasn't much of a bargain, and the locals weren't all that fact, some were downright rude! Still, we liked the picturesque views from Mountain Top (what a shame that it was destroyed by fire a week later!), and the banana daiquiris were delicious.
Don't Miss: Banana daiquiris; great scenary
I had been to Nassau 3 times prior, so I chose to stay on the ship this day. The rest of my group, however, ventured out for a bit of exploration and shopping. This ship was at this port from only 8am-2pm on a Sunday (Mother's Day), so our port explorers reported back to the ship fairly early. They told me that it was just ok, that most of the stores were closed since it was Sunday, and that a few of the places they stopped in were really dirty and nasty. My mom walked into a Burger King to use the bathroom, and she said the bathroom was so filthy and disgusting she nearly threw up. Yuck! I rated this port "average" and not "poor" based on the fact that the people in my group who did visit the port did not regret going. Really, though, with such a short time in port, I don't think there's a whole lot you can do unless you get up early and line up to get off the ship right away.
Don't Miss: This would be a great opportunity to take advantage of the nearly empty ship and spa services!