Carnival Destiny (RETIRED) Cruise Review to Caribbean - Southern

OK Ship for Value & Itinerary

Sail Date: September 16, 2007

The intinerary and pricing was a good value when we compared it to other comparable cruises. We enjoyed the ship's dancers and acts, especially the comedians. I have to admit that this ship's shows were some of the best I've seen on the seas in terms of show quality, costumes, and its set designs.

Pros: Excellent shows

Cons: Received very little help from onboard staff

Recommends Carnival Destiny (RETIRED)? Yes!

The ship for us was average in size and ameneties. Some of the problems we encountered were that the ship's staff seemed to be unorganized when we first got on, getting on to the elevators was always a problem and we often had to go to the same room (the Palladium showroom) for most of our activities so it didn't give us an opportunity to really enjoy other parts of the ship.
The ship's staff could have definitely used a lot of improvement. When we boarded, we found the staff unorganized and without a lot of information and got misinformation. We had some minor problems with both our TV set and folio charges. We waited 2 days to get maintenance to fix the TV and the Purser's Desk was unfriendly,difficult, and incredibly dismissive with us in getting these issues resolved. Dealing with the Pursers Desk was enough to make a pleasant trip, an unpleasant one. Even now that I am back home, I still have to follow-up with Carnival to address the folio issue we had.
The food quality and variety was pretty good on the lido deck. However, the staff there could have done a better job of providing clean tables and supplies on a more timely basis. I sometimes had to get the staff to come and clean the table so we could use it. The dining room (Universe) was very nice. We found the staff there to be very professional and the food quality was very good. I would have liked a better menu in that it would provide both soup and salad as separate courses instead of just one or the other.
We had an outside cabin on the Main deck for 3 adults and it was ample room for us. I liked the size of the shower area and the bathroom toiletries storage areas which were bigger than most.
Unlike other ships I have traveled on, I found many of my favorite activities (Amazing Race, Scavenger hunt, etc.) were offered at inconvenient times so I was unable to attend or participate.
Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas
This city was one of two on this ship's itinerary that I enjoyed. No matter what you do in port, Paradise Point is a must-see. It's close to the ship and within walking distance so no matter what other plans you have in port, you can squeeze Paradise Point in. The view up there is spectacular. We also enjoyed doing the Helmet Dive at Coral World. It was definitely worth the experience.
Don't Miss: Coral World and Paradise Point
Bridgetown, Barbados
The city tour was okay.
Don't Miss: Signal Hill part of the local tour. It had a great history and views are spectacular.
Castries, St. Lucia
We enjoyed the land/sea combo tour.
Don't Miss: I definitely recommend going on a catamaran here. The beach we went to was beautiful and we enjoyed ourselves.
St. John's, Antigua
We had scheduled the Devil's Bridge and Dian Beach tour but was it was cancelled on us with very little notice. As a result, when we tried to book another shore excursion, the line at the desk was too long and we wound up having to just walk to a few sights (the local bazaar, cathedral, and Antigua museum) instead of enjoying an opportunity to explore more of the island.
We took the Emerald Pool Tour. Though it was nice to see, we could not enjoy it. The path leading to it is very narrow and there were too many tour groups going in that it got too crowded.