Carnival Destiny (RETIRED) Cruise Review to Caribbean - Southern

Average--Saved by the ports visited

Sail Date: July 22, 2007

This ship itself was alright, aside from having dirty windows. It seemed, though, that there was maintenence being done while in nearly every port. The noise from that was obnoxious while you were trying to relax on the deck. The layout, however, was easy to navigate and the cabin was clean. Although the shore excursion staff was very helpful when I was purchasing additional shore excursions, I had to go to them twice to find out where the tickets where to my pre-puchased excursions (they should have been waiting for me in my cabin once I arrived.) Also, I did not recieve a customs card/comment card in my cabin as I should have and finally had to track down the room steward at 10 pm the night before debarkation to get them. I booked a shore excursion for the last day, for no other reason than to debark early. I spoke to guests who debarked the normal way, and it took them over two hours to get off the ship once they were called to debark.

Pros: I was attracted to this cruise because of the high number of ports stopped at during the trip.

Cons: The volume of the evening entertainment was FAR too loud. I couldn't go to any of it because of the noise level. All of the windows of the ship were dirty, so no pictures could be taken looking out the windows.

Recommends Carnival Destiny (RETIRED)? Yes!

Athough the stateroom was large enough and clean, I have to give it a below average rating as there was no refrigerator as I have had on previous cruises and we were not allowed to use hair dryers or apparently curling irons (one guest stated that her curling iron was confiscated by the cruise line) in the cabins.
I was not able to attend any of the shows due to how incredibly loud they were. Also, the live music on the deck was too loud.
The ship was huge, which made for a crowded deck, however there were sufficient buffet stations so that I rarely had to wait very long in line. The public areas were always very tidy.
The food in the dining room was excellent and our waiter, David, was very accomdating to our needs. The assistant waiter seemed new to the ship and occasionally mixed up who got what, but always fixed the problem promptly.
Every staff member that I encountered was very friendly, used my name when available, and was very patient with questions about their country of origin and life on the ship.
St. John's, Antigua
We took the catamaran sail and snorkle tour. The snorkeling was disappointing, with low visibility and the tour people tried to sell us t-shirts and jewelry out of brief cases. Who wants to be sold things where you're trying to escape that? Also, the beach that we stopped at to swim was filled with other merchants peddling the same items. Once back at the pier, though, the shopping was great, we ate a fantastic lunch at Hemmingways, just a few blocks from the ship, and toured St. John's Anglican church on our own. There were some great fews of the island from the church and the church itself was very impressive.
Don't Miss: St. John's Church
Castries, St. Lucia
We took the Pirates Extravaganza tour, which included the ship from the Pirates of the Caribbean movies. It was an excellent sail, which included a stop at Pigeon Island to swim. Very enjoyable.
Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas
The views from the top were postcard perfect. A great island to tour. Fantastic shopping, but don't expect any bargaining.
Bridgetown, Barbados
We took the Flavor of Barbados tour. The Rum distillery was alright (but VERY smelly), the plantation house was beautiful, but the mohagony carver was a waste of time. His work could be purchased at nearly any store in town and we were basically brought there to buy his work. Also, the tour guide was a bit rude and didn't offer nearly as much additional information about the island as other guides have.
In response to the claims of bad beaches and poor shopping, I took the whale-watching tour. We saw at least 20 whales (quite a few of them up-close) and were at one point surrounded by dolphins!