We were on the same cruise as you, but we left the ship on Aug 30 because no direction at all was forthcoming from Viking Corporate so we decided to salvage whatever was left of our Europe vacation and leave the ship. They offered us a voucher for future travel also, but we have declined and instead we are going to sue for a refund of a proportionate share of the cruise fare. You and your family should not be intimidated by the terms and conditions. If you want more details as to how I am proceeding, I welcome you to make contact.
Review by mongrainr
In response to review, Mcousineau says ...
We had a lock problem in Paris on a Vantage River Cruise through France. It was handled much better than yours was. Vantage hired a coach to take us to and from Paris so we did not lose any time for sightseeing in Paris. The staff kept us informed at all times and weren't rude or condescending to us. They were aware of the problem ahead of time but we were not told until we arrived at the airport. I did learn about the problem from reading reviews on the Internet of the previous sailings & I called the Co. ahead of time. They insisted that they wouldn't know for sure until the day of sailing. I guess they were hoping that the lock problem would be fixed. It wasn't. It was too bad for us because we were suppose to meet our daughter in Paris before the boat sailed and that was no longer possible.
I just don't understand why more people don't pursue a better result from Viking. At least you got somewhat of a trip. We spent $11,000 and other $4,000 on our own once we left the ship just to make it happen. I couldn't imagine travelling to Europe from Canada and only getting long bus rides with little time in each city as a result. We simply had no choice but to leave the ship otherwise I would have been in tears daily.