Specialty Restaurants

How often do you dine in a specialty restaurant on a cruise, if at all? Are the meals worth the extra cost?

Tags: specialty Restaurants

19 Answers

It is unfortunate that the specialty restaurants don't change their menu.

I have been on 98 cruises and I will not pay extra to eat on a cruise ship

We dine in the Crown grill on Princess at least twice during a 14 day cruise, I am not a big fan of Sabatini's two bad experiences not willing to give them a third chance.

Holland we will eat at Pinnacle Grill for dinner at least twice and lunch whenever they are open. I will go to the Caneletto at least once, I really enjoy the lemoncello dessert.

NCL, maderno grill at least twice.

I think it's worth the extra price, we do enjoy them.

I have avoided Princess for a different reason but when I was on the Crown Princess the food was good.

Don't mess with success.

Don't mess with success.

We'll dine in the specialty restaurant for a special occasion like a birthday or an anniversary.

We rarely dine in the specialty restaurants unless our TA gives us that as a perk. But on our next cruise, we have so much onboard credit that we will some of it on dining. In them.

I agree with Jusme here. It is not necessary for a commentator to have to insert the language, "my opinion only", as a qualifier onto every single observation or experience expressed. After all, that is a given, almost all of these posts are generally of the opinion variety. If a poster decides to employee factual rhetoric, then pertinent evidence should be provided to substantiate such declarations of fact.

Likewise, opinions dealing with such things as food quality, cabin arrangements, service levels, ship amenities are almost always very "subjective" and most understand that. No need for responders to continually point that out either.

I'm not saying though posters should not disagree, my all means do so. Disagreement should be duly and courteously noted though. "Let the games begin."

While on this subject, this all touches on one of the problems I have with ship and cruise reviews in general. Most believe a reviewer is rating the cruise or ship as he/she experienced it. So, if there was bad weather, a lousy bunch of traveling companions on board, etc, etc, you get the drift, and the rater gives a negative rating, that is the rater's viewpoint as to the cruise or whatever, applicable to only that rater's observations.

Okay, I understand that and don't argue with it, however I get irritated when they tally up all these one stars or four stars or whatever in order to format a general idea of the ship or cruise experience as expressed by our peers. Because, those reviews are rarely very comprehensive, therefore very limited for analysis purposes since quantitative data is sparse.

I've only eaten once in a specialty restaurant -- the Italian one on Carnival (lunch is free).

Although it was delicious, I couldn't justify an extra $25 dollars for it considering the MDR.

Of course my taste buds have drastically changed from living too long on the US/Mex border.

*Cruiseline.com is not a booking agent or travel agency, and does not charge any service fees to users of our site. Our partners (travel agencies and cruise lines) provide prices, which we list for our users' convenience. Cruiseline.com does not guarantee any specific rates or prices. While prices are updated daily, please check with the booking site for the exact amount. Cruiseline.com is not responsible for content on external web sites.