First time cruiser

Good Evening folks! Hope everyone had a great holiday & Happy new year!

I Booked our very first cruise, 7 day western cruise with Carnival Mardi Gras in April 2024.

Looking for advice, tips, good or bad from seasoned cruisers. Hope to hear some good news!

Thanks Happy

Tags: jknoll52

20 Answers

This is all good basic stuff...you'll never forget your first one...we couldn't find our heads with both hands...no idea how anything worked onboard...where to go, what to do...you might notice a few zillion other folks doing exactly the same thing...no matter, its part of the process...try to relax, and figure things out..go wandering...and no matter what the cruiselines say officially about tipping and signing those chits, carry some cash, small bills, especially for folks yoou'll see again...greenbacks work!....its part of the fun...when you get back, bet you'll have more questions....

my opinion: I was in the Navy for four years on a destroyer in the south china sea eating off metal trays, etc. I told my wife I would not ever go on a ship again. She convinced me to try a cruise. It was on Carnival Conquest out of Galveston. As soon as I stepped on that ship I was hooked. I soaked up everything the ship had to offer. I did not get any ideas(no media useage yet) or advice or complaints from anyone, just discovered fun on my own. 30 cruises later I still wish I could relive the first cruise as it was the most fun and magical one. I still love cruising tho. By the way all my cruises are on Carnival, as we live near the Galveston cruise terminal. Just do your thing and discover things on your own

Your cabin steward will introduce themselves to you on the first day. Although it's not required, I personally always give him/her a $20 at that first meeting. I find it amps up the already good service you'll receive. If you decide to do this, at the same time ask him/her for robes for everyone in your cabin, for unless you booked a suite, you won't get them unless you ask.

But don't try to steal them, for the cruise line will know, and they will bill your credit card.

the one thing i always tell new cruisers is that you learn alot about cruising on the first cruise. what you do and donot like and what you would do again. the other thing is do try other cruise lines in future. they all do things a lil different.

Absolutely agree on this one. Having a drink package makes it all care free.

Best advice I have:

- Fly in the day/night before. It will save you alot of stress if flights are delayed.

- If you drink, even lightly, consider the drink package. IM not 100% familiar with the Carnival Options, however, drinks are a bit more pricy on a cruise ship, so if you have 8-10 drinks in a full day on a ship, the package is usally worth it.

- The ship will be essentially empty on port days. Consider trying to visit the busier venues while everyone is off the ship.

- Relax and ENJOY. Use the time away from the real world to treat yourself. Dont let the little crap bother you.

Thank you!

You ain't kidding!

First, welcome to the wonderful world of cruising. If your April cruise coinsides with Spring Break, don't be surprised with the large number of children on board. Some parents let their children govern themselves. Shortly after you board the ship, try to do a self guided tour, so you know where most things are. It will make the rest of trip more enjoyable. Relax and have fun. Don't try to do everything. As I understand it, the Mardi Gras is too big to do everything even for seasoned cruisers (we haven't sailed on her yet). Talk to people! Crew and passengers tend to let down their "shields" while cruising (I love this). Don't let the little things ruin your cruise. Sometimes issues happen (like with anything in life), so try to ignore those small things. I agree with OldGreyWolf, we leave Friday (day before sailing) and time is going so slowly. Srep out of your comfort zone and try something new. I would also suggest you check out "Advice" on this site: Cruise advice by Cruiseline.com Most of all: relax and have fun!

Welcome aboard and welcome to cruising where the hardest part is the wait.

*Cruiseline.com is not a booking agent or travel agency, and does not charge any service fees to users of our site. Our partners (travel agencies and cruise lines) provide prices, which we list for our users' convenience. Cruiseline.com does not guarantee any specific rates or prices. While prices are updated daily, please check with the booking site for the exact amount. Cruiseline.com is not responsible for content on external web sites.