First time cruiser

Good Evening folks! Hope everyone had a great holiday & Happy new year!

I Booked our very first cruise, 7 day western cruise with Carnival Mardi Gras in April 2024.

Looking for advice, tips, good or bad from seasoned cruisers. Hope to hear some good news!

Thanks Happy

Tags: jknoll52

20 Answers

Welcome to the cruising family - you're one of us now!!

Won't repeat all the good advice you've already seen here, just adding to study the deck plans prior to sailing so that when you do get on, you'll already have a sense of the layout so exploring on your own and generally navigating the ship will be easier.

If physically possible, take stairs when your destination is within 2 decks. And if your ship has glass elevators on the side, use them as much as possible (instead of the interior elevators) as the views are lovely and wait times usually shorter. Same when returning from port - everyone huddles at the interior elevators.

Pack less clothes than you think you need and use the laundry service. If you are not wanting to dine with children (not everyone wants to dine with others minors) you can request adults only table in MDR.

Most of all - Enjoy!!

Welcome to cruising! My last cruise I flew out a day early and was so glad I did. My direct flight to MIA was delayed until evening and canceled due to mechanical failure. I took a flight to the DC area and then to MIA. My checked luggage was not at the baggage claim, and did not get the luggage delivered at my hotel until about 3 hours before ship sailed. I did not pack an extra set of clothes, nightwear, toiletries in my personal item / carryon. For those who have shared it is a good idea to pack those things in a carryon - Yes! Lesson learnt.

Above all, relax and have a great time on your cruise. Enjoy!

Welcome aboard!

If you want quiet, then don't stay towards the back of the ship if you have a balcony.

There is a public area on the 8th deck with a pub and 2 hottubs that you look right down on and is very noisy. The roller coaster is on the 17th deck but you hear it also. I like a balcony for getting away from people and noise.

$79.99+

Welcome!

1.) Do your check-in EARLY

2.) Download the Carnival Hub app and use that for the Muster Drill

3.) Make as many reservations as you can BEFORE you board the ship, if they can't be made before then, make them as early as you can

4.) Get to port a day early

5.) If you're flying to the port, make sure you get the latest flight you can back home

6.) PRIORITIZE what you want to do onboard, some attractions might be open, including pools. Do the highest priority things first to avoid lines

7.) Eat breakfast the day of Embarkation, it might be a few hours before you can eat again

8.) Got kids? Sign them up for Camp Carnival for a fun-filled week with age appropriate activities

LOL No, not at all. I'm a bit of a boy scout who believes in karma and that old adage of "what goes around comes around". I would not risk acquiring bad juju from stealing a robe. I had stolen something from a store when I was around eight or nine (maybe ten), got caught and was punished. That was the extent of my life of crime.

I was curious, and once asked our cabin attendant what happens in those instances. He told me that they (robes) are distributed and logged in and out by the supervisors. They have fairly tight controls, and if they're not turned back in upon debarkation the supervisor tags your onboard account and your credit card is billed. I don't know what they charge now, but back then it was something like $25 per robe.

Okay, so, all of the advice so far is spot on. I would add that any excursions should be booked through the cruise line. Don’t just go off on your own. Don’t buy every picture they take of you. If you attend an art auction, don’t buy for investment. But if you see something you really like, go for it. Be aware some pieces are carry off ( vs shipping ) .

Eat things you wouldn’t normally eat. Take a tour of the ship if you can.
Enjoy your trip

That last part sounds, ummmmmm, from experience ?

I had a similar experience in 2012 for my first, on Allure.

even 11 years ago, there was not the media available on these ships there is now.

My experience with cruising had been re-runs of Gilligan's Island, The Love Boat, JAG, and SPEED 2...

needless to say I was less than enthusiastic about going. Now 13 years, and 8 cruises later, Im counting down the minutes until I step onto that gangway for 5-10 days of peace...

*Cruiseline.com is not a booking agent or travel agency, and does not charge any service fees to users of our site. Our partners (travel agencies and cruise lines) provide prices, which we list for our users' convenience. Cruiseline.com does not guarantee any specific rates or prices. While prices are updated daily, please check with the booking site for the exact amount. Cruiseline.com is not responsible for content on external web sites.