Carnival Cheers Program

I purchased the Cheers program on my last cruise and between mimosas at breakfast, wine or fruity drinks in the afternoon, wine at dinner and long island iced teas at night it was easy to get to 15 drinks before I was ready to call it quits for the night. Seems it would make more sense to order straight liquor (top shelf of course) and a juice or sparkling water on the side for mixing. On the list of drink prices liquor is listed by the glass and by the bottle. How big is a glass of just liquor? 

Tags: Carnival Cheers

19 Answers

One shot would be roughly the same price as a mixed drink. You are not allowed a double shot.

It seems to make sense, especially with the Cheers package, that you get the mixed drink (if that is what you want) rather than mixing it yourself.

Thanks for the response! I'm trying to avoid all the sugary stuff and get straight to it lol.

You can get the straight shots, but each shot would count against the 15.

Every bartender I have run into onboard would be willing to mix a drink the way you want it (No syrup? No Problem!)

My thought is to simply pay out of pocket for double shots rather than buying Cheers. Cheers has too many restrictions that hamper moderate to heavy drinkers. It is a convenience, though, and it makes the waiters notice the sticker on your card and provide prompt bar service. I'm over Cheers and just pay as I go. Did try it once, though.

We found the cheers program not cost effective for us. One of us is a light drinker and the other a moderate drinker.  Now we pre-order a bottle of the preferred alcohol and some mixers from the fun shops, buy whatever else we want as we go, and usually the wine package for dinner time.  You won't know if your solution works until you try it, this is what works for us.

It doesn't work for us either.

First time cruiser here. We got the cheers package. But, we were back and forth with it and finally just decided to go with. We're moderate drinkers. Would you say that it would possibly be worth it? 

Cheers is by far worth it's price. Especially, because it includes almost every type of drink on the menu, not just alchohol.

I also believe Carnival sells bottles of booze through the room service. Preorder them, but they cost (if my memory is still intact) about $80-$90 per 750 ml bottle.

Princess also sells booze for about $18-25 per 375 ml bottle.

I think (but am not sure) that you can also order it through room service onboard for both lines.

It is worth the try to find out if you will use it enough for future purchase. It includes specialty coffee, sodas, virgin drinks and juices during the day, these do not count as part of your 15 drink limit, so if you use this part it is sort of a bonus.  The best part of the program, from my perspective, is you can try drinks you might not otherwise want to spend the money to do so.  Another advantage, you have that already paid and it makes that part of budget worry negligible.  The only reason we know it doesn't work for us is because we tried it and found we were about 4 drinks shy of breaking even (this included what I call the bonus drinks). For a first time cruiser, I say stick with your choice it will help you enjoy your adventure a bit more... one less worry!

*Cruiseline.com is not a booking agent or travel agency, and does not charge any service fees to users of our site. Our partners (travel agencies and cruise lines) provide prices, which we list for our users' convenience. Cruiseline.com does not guarantee any specific rates or prices. While prices are updated daily, please check with the booking site for the exact amount. Cruiseline.com is not responsible for content on external web sites.