Annual Travel Insurance Policy

For frequent travelers has anyone looked at an annual travel policy in lieu of individual policies for separate cruises? I was looking at one policy that made sense if you sailed 3 or more Times in a year. Anyone have experience with these?

11 Answers

Never heard of them, I went with CoCoMango Travel and they arrange everything I needed for my trip, very satisfied and definitely recommended!!

Thank you. And I bought the insurance because life happens, often not as you would expect or want. Someone wondered how often people have to use their travel insurance. How often do people use their homeowner's insurance? Houses don't often burn down, but if yours does you sure want to have it insured, I was on a cruise in 2016 and met someone who had booked the cruise just 2 weeks before the departure date. He decided to forgo the insurance think that surely nothing would happen in 2 weeks. His wife died a week before the cruise. Life (or sometimes death) happens. It's unavoidable, but you can protect yourself against financial loss.

Let me express my sincere condolences to you. Cyber being what it is, it may not mean much. But, as I have repeatedly said in discussions about getting insurance or not...life happens.

Last year I had to make use of the trip cancellation prevision of the insurance. My wife died unexpectedly about 6 months prior to our cruise. I had no interest in finding someone else to go with me and cancelled my cruise. If not for the insurance I would have been out several thousand dollars.

That's EXACTLY the problem, and we used to have that discussion almost every time we cruised. I say "used to" because we just click the box and move on past few years. Seen medical evacs by helicopter, and ambulances at pier side, and wondered what THAT all cost? (we won't even discuss the quality of med care available in some of the places cruise ships go).. not to mention wretched weather that's so bad even leaving a day early isn't enough to guarantee getting to the ship. Just ONE incident and all the $$ you saved just went bye-bye.

I just wonder how many who buy trip insurance has ever used it??? But then insurance is insurance and if you never need to use it, it is a waste of money but is good to have if you need it. I personally do not take the insurance and have been lucky so far and not needed it, knock on wood.

Yep, that good ol "fine print" will bite you every time...not just insurance...

Found one notable deficiency - while they are much less than an a la carte trip insurance - its really hard to find a policy with "trip cancelation" or "trip interruption" with suitable coverage. Once you add those 2 insurable items, it really jacks up the cost. If you only need medical, and do not want cancelation or interruption, it is a better deal than the individual trip policies. The other advantage is cost on many policies does not increase with age. So if you're over 65, no different from 55. Costs start in the mid-$200s for 2 travelers/yr. BUT read the fine print. The higher the prices, the higher the coverages. These policies also cover rental car (for some areas).

Merely googling "annual travel insurance" will get you more "information" than you'll know what to do with. Theres dozens of co's out there, with different levels of policies. READ THE FINE PRINT. I'd bet real money most folks don't read the fine print on the policies they buy thru the cruise line booking. Caveat emptor. We cruise 2x per year. Rest of the time we drive for land vackays. Could't justify it. We'll keep clicking the box.

Pass on the information.

*Cruiseline.com is not a booking agent or travel agency, and does not charge any service fees to users of our site. Our partners (travel agencies and cruise lines) provide prices, which we list for our users' convenience. Cruiseline.com does not guarantee any specific rates or prices. While prices are updated daily, please check with the booking site for the exact amount. Cruiseline.com is not responsible for content on external web sites.