Recipe: Viking's Beer Cheese Soup & Oceania's Big "O" Martini
January is National Soup month! In celebration mix up a cold Big "O" Martini from Oceania Cruises, and make a warm comfort meal from Viking — Wisconsin Beer Cheese Soup.
Big "O" Martini — Oceania Cruises
- 2 ½ oz. Grey Goose L’Orange Vodka
- ½ oz. Cointreau
- ½ oz. orange juice
- ½ oz. cranberry juice
- Fresh lime juice
- Orange slice for garnish
- Pour the vodka, Cointreau, orange juice and cranberry juice over ice into a cocktail shaker, strain into a martini glass and top with a splash of lime juice.
- Garnish with an orange slice and serve.
Wisconsin Beer Cheese Soup — Viking
- ½ cup butter
- 2 medium yellow onions, finely diced
- 4 celery ribs, finely diced
- 4 medium carrots, finely diced
- 2 tbsp garlic, roasted and mashed
- 1 cup flour
- 1 12-oz bottle bock beer
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 tsp thyme leaves
- 1 bay leaf
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 4 cups heavy cream
- 16 oz sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 16 oz white cheddar cheese, shredded
- Salt to taste
- 1½ tbsp chives, chopped
- ½ cup popped popcorn, dusted with salt and pepper
- In a large pot over medium-low heat, cook butter, onions, celery, carrot, and garlic until softened.
- Add flour; cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Increase heat to medium, stir in beer and broth, bring to a boil and cook until slightly thickened.
- Add thyme, bay leaf, cayenne pepper, paprika, mustard, and cream.
- Add cheese slowly, stirring constantly, until incorporated.
- Remove from heat; remove bay leaf.
- Garnish with chives and popcorn just before serving.
Join the discussion
Do you plan to make one or both of these recipes?