Recipe: Carnival's Baja Fish Tacos & Norwegian's Northern Lights Cocktail
Hello Taco Tuesday! Kick-off your dinner with the fresh, minty Northern Lights cocktail from Norwegian Cruise Line, which is made with gin. Then get ready to fry up some fish fillets to make Carnival Cruise Line's mouth-watering Baja Fish Tacos.
Northern Lights — Norwegian Cruise Line
- 1 ½ oz. Hendricks Gin
- ¾ oz. fresh squeezed lime juice
- ¾ oz. simple syrup
- 4 mint leaves
- Top with lemon-lime soda
- Lime wheel, thinly sliced with mandolin
- 1 mint sprig
- Add ingredients into a mixing glass. Add ice and shake vigorously.
- Strain into a glass filled with plenty of ice.
- Garnish with lime wheel and mint sprig.
Baja Fish Tacos — Carnival Cruise Line
- 1½ lbs white fish fillet, skinless
- 2 oz corn starch
- oil for deep frying
Marinade Paste Ingredients:
- 6 cloves garlic
- 2 serrano chili peppers
- 1 small yellow onion
- 1 bunch cilantro stems
- sea salt, to taste
- sugar, to taste
- ½ cup white vinegar
Yeast Batter Ingredients:
- 12 oz all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp yeast
- 2 fresh eggs
- ½ liter ice water
Finishing Sprinkle Ingredients:
- 1 tsp mint powder from dried mint leaves
- 1 tsp granulated garlic powder
- 1 tsp lime zest
- ½ tsp sea salt
Ingredients For Serving:
- chopped lettuce
- pico de gallo
- sour cream
- lime wedges
- Blend all the marinade ingredients into a fine paste.
- Cut your fish into long pieces. Each piece should weigh about 3 ounces.
- Marinate the fish! (Try to wait at least three hours before you continue.)
- Grind your mint into a fine powder (if it isn’t already).
- Make a batter by thoroughly mixing the yeast, fresh egg, flour and cold water.
- Stick the batter in a warm place for at least two hours. Give it time — it’s gotta rise.
- Dust the marinated fish with corn starch, dip each piece in the yeast batter, and then deep fry in oil on a medium-high heat.
- Keep turning the pieces while frying to make sure they get an even, beautifully golden, crispy crust.
- Sprinkle some mint, garlic, sea salt and lime zest on the pieces of fish.
- Place each piece on a tortilla with chopped lettuce, tomato and pico de gallo. Serve it hot!
- Fancy bonus: Add some salsa, sour cream, guacamole and lime wedges on the side.
Join the discussion
Do you plan to make one or both of these cruise line recipes?