Zaandam Cruise Review to Alaska - Gulf of Alaska

A Great Time

Sail Date: June 26, 2011

Traveled As: Family w/young children

With the exception of the dinner service, we were very impressed with the quality of the service on the ship. My mother needed a wheelchair for both embarking and disembarking and they made everything very easy for us. Our cabin servers were always very cheerful and helpful. During the days at sea, there was always an activity too keep us busy. For the most part, the food was very good.

Pros: Lots of entertainment and activities to keep busy. A nice warm indoor pool for the kids.

Cons: Slow dinner service

Recommends Zaandam? Yes!

We didn't take advantage of the children's activities.
The overall quality of the food was very good and we were very happy with our dining options. The only down point was that the service was very slow at dinner.
Skagway, Alaska
We took a 3 1/2 hour scenic bus tour with a local company - Southeast Tours. We saw one brown bear and a mother black bear with 2 cubs. This was $50/person as opposed to the $120 for the train ride.
Juneau, Alaska
We did the salmon hatchery and the glacier tour. The hatchery was a bust because the season hadn't begun. I was told that you could just get a taxi to take you to the glacier.
Don't Miss: glacier
Ketchikan, Alaska
If you don't want to shell out the $300 to fly to the fiords (sp?), I recommend that you just do the walking tour. I didn't get the chance but I heard the "Burger Queen" has the best halibut and chips.