Vision of the Seas Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

Purser

Bigger isn't always better! This was a fantastic cruise experience!

Sail Date: January 31, 2015

We really enjoyed this cruise and would take it again anytime!

Capt Marek Slaby lead a team of professionals that catered to our every need. His fun loving and outgoing nature permeated the crew; everyone was really happy, helpful and treated us like welcome family members.

We did not attend much of the on board entertainment; however, we did watch the musical show put on in the Centrum by Capt Slaby and his crew. Very talented group. Very approachable. Interactive! Lots of fun! They also put on a terrific parade of flags.

The cabin layout was better than any other we have had. The "living space" was adjacent to the balcony, so if you wanted to be inside, you could sit on the 3-seat couch and still feel like you were right outside. Cabin layouts we've had on other RC cruises had the bed adjacent to the balcony door ... so if you wanted to sit inside, you had to sit on the bed ... and had to navigate around the bed to get to the balcony. This layout ... exterior stateroom door / bathroom & closet / bed / living space / balcony ... was much more usable and seemed much more spacious!

Meals were excellent and the wait staff very attentive.

The shore excursions in which we participated were great - snorkeling in Roatan, Belize city tour, Semi-Sub in Cozumel and more snorkeling in Costa Maya. The snorkeling at Tabyana beach in Roatan was the best snorkeling we've every had ... so many different fish, so many shapes and colours ... and the coral was truly impressive!

The ship was very clean and well maintained. We had a few minor concerns that were quickly and effectively addressed by the staff. Our stateroom attendant Zoe was outstanding! She knew our names after the first time we met; she remembered our wants and anticipated our needs. She was one of the first people we saw each day and her upbeat attitude was infectious! What a great start each and every day!

Getting off the boat at the end of the trip was well handled, both ship board and on shore. It ran ahead of schedule ... what more can I say?

My only complaint on this trip regards the dining room management and attention to my food allergy. To ensure things run smoothly, I've gotten into the habit of visiting the dining room on the afternoon I board the ship to explain my allergy ... and I did that on this trip too. I asked that we be seated with the same wait staff each day so they would be familiar with my allergy. On our third day, we were on our third new seating with new wait staff. We raised a complaint on that evening and, finally, the issue received the attention it should. On other cruises, dining room management have ensured that kitchen staff was aware of my allergy to ensure there was no accidental contamination. Because I am careful, there were no issues, but the initial lack of attention to this issue made me feel like a severe food allergy was not important to them. The individual waiters and waitresses were excellent; this was a management issue. Once it was addressed, it seemed like there was overkill to compensate for the initial lack of interest. This was a single issue and there were so many other great things about the cruise, I do not want to leave you with the wrong impression. We would this cruise again in a heart beat!

Best stateroom layout we've experienced. Ship areas were clean and well maintained. It was easy to find everything; nice layout.
Great food in the dining room; Chops food was a disappointment; Windjammer was good; outstanding wait staff in all food areas. Management overlooked my food allergy for the first three days, but that was sorted out eventually.
The ship's captain was very outgoing and people oriented, approachable, fun-loving. This attitude permeated through all the staff. We were treated like welcomed family members. Great feeling!
We did not go to many of the ship board events; however, we did attend both shows put on by the ship's crew lead by Capt Marek Slaby. What a talented group! Lots of fun!
Children's Programs Did not take part; no comment.
Onboard Activities Did not take part; no comment.
Best snorkeling ever at Tabyana beach in Roatan - so many different fish, visibility 80 feet plus, excellent guide, fantastic experience. City tour in Belize - informative and fun ... choose the Rum Cream if you get the chance. Semi-sub in Cozumel - wonderful sights, terrific crew. Power snorkeling in Costa Maya - first time with Sea Doo Scooter, guide very considerate of the disparate experience levels; visibility only about 20 feet; not as much sea life as Tabyana.
Best layout of any stateroom we've ever had. With the living space adjacent to the balcony, it was so much more useful and seemed a lot larger. Tons of storage space - again, more than we've ever had!
Tampa, Florida
Nothing to do here without a car. Busch Gardens is $100 apiece to walk through the door, then extra for everything else other than rides. Not a place to spend time before or after the cruise.
Coxen Hole, Roatan, Bay Islands, Honduras
Best snorkeling ever at Tabyana beach! Meal was just OK.
Belize City, Belize
Very fun and enjoyable trolley tour ... and the Rum stop was great!
We did the semi-sub excursion. Lots of fun; lots to see; comfortable and air-conditioned trip!
Costa Maya (Mahahual), Mexico
Power snorkeling was a lot of fun. Water visibility not that great and less sea life than Tabyana. Meal was just outstanding. Huge bar; great beach area.

Bigger is not always better! The family atmosphere aboard the Vision made everyone feel welcomed and valued. It was easy to get to know everyone and it was nice to be remembered when we went to the photo shop or the on-board shops. Buy the photo package; it was a lot of fun!