Southern Caribbean "Cultural Immersion" Cruise

Vision of the Seas Cruise Review to Caribbean - Southern

Contributor Level: Third Mate

7 Night Southern Caribbean (Colon Roundtrip)
Sail Date: December 07, 2013
Ship: Vision of the Seas
Cabin Type: Suite

This was an excellent cruise! Of the 2000 or so passengers, only 100ish were American, the rest being from Central and South America. This meant that certain aspects of the cruise catered towards their tastes, for obvious reason, such as the buffet offerings, on board music, and TV lineup. Overall, I found the change much welcome--I got to brush up on my Spanish, learn some salsa, and my wife had all of the beans and tortilla she wanted! The only negative was that the movies on TV were Spanish dubbed, but when that's your biggest issue on a cruise, you know it went well! The weather wasn't the best, but that was mostly due to the time of year. The stops (Cartagena, Bonaire, Aruba, Curacao) were all excellent and made for a great snorkel/SCUBA itinerary! I was a bit confused as to why they didn't visit the islands in order, which would allow for more time on each island, but I'm sure the itinerary is set up for a reason.

I highly recommend this cruise--my favorite so far!

Great offerings and quality.

Newly renovated--very clean with much updated equipment.

Nothing much in Colon--stay in Panama City, and take a shuttle or bus to the port in Colon
Plenty of historical things to see. Not dangerous at all (Columbia has a reputation).
Not very populated island, so not big taxi service--had to rent a car. Snorkel spots closer to the Port, SCUBA spots farther to the north.
Great beaches and very South Florida feel. Public bus is only $2ish each way.
Best snorkeling on the trip! Public bus is only $1 each way.