Veendam Cruise Review to Mexico

Purser

Norovirus outbreak 1: Me 0

Sail Date: December 13, 2015

I read the reviews on the Veendam but honestly thought some of them were written by people with much pickier tastes than I.  However, I agree, this ship is very dated.  Our hallway had patches of carpet that didn't match the rest and there were gouges in our cabin walls.  There is brass everywhere you look and decorations that should have been retired 20 years ago.  This ship is showing it's wear in the bars and common areas where there were many lights out and ceiling panels out of place.  The entertainment was definitely geared toward the older crowd, which we expected an older crowd but thought there would be something for everyone.  The shows we saw were not good quality, I felt like I could get hired as a dancer for one of these ships (could be fun I guess).  I felt bad for a couple of the guests who ended up in the dancing with the star finale as they got paired up with the opera singing couple who could not dance and there were bound to lose.  Not much to do on the Veendam but gamble, none of the classes sounded interesting.  There were good movies on board so we watched several and checked out some DVDs.  The modern music didn't start until 11 pm or later and honestly, even in our early 30s we just weren't up to staying up that late.  The service and food were great! We eat in the main dining room as often as possible as we just like the service and food better and they did not disappoint.  The couple meals we had in the Lido buffet were actually better than expected.

Unfortunately there was a Norovirus outbreak on our ship which was announced the night before we got back to San Diego.  My husband and I laughed about it and went about our evening.  Joke was on me, at 2:00 am I awoke and started vomiting more than I ever had in my adult life.  I couldn't even keep water down the rest of the day and we had to sit in the San Diego airport for 9 hours waiting for our delayed flight while I continuously shuffled to the closest bathroom to continue puking. It was enough to make me swear off cruising for a bit.

The cabin was always clean but it was in rough shape. There were divots/gouges in the wall that just made it look really beat up. It was a little disappointing as I want to feel like I am living in luxury on a cruise. Yes, even in an interior room.
San Diego, California
Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
Cabo is a tourist trap. It took over 2 hours to tender in and we got to the theater for a tender ticket early. Holland Star members of a certain ranking get to avoid the lines for tenders and were already returning to the ship before we even got to go ashore. We booked a whale watching zodiac tour which was very adventurous, too much so for my husband. I loved it! But we only saw a few whales, it was the first day of the whale season there.
Mazatlan, Mexico
Get out of the Golden Zone and explore! The best thing we did was walk to the cathedral and then hire an open air cab to give a tour of the whole city. He got us pictures with views we couldn't have walked to. It was awesome! We ended up having him recommend a restaurant. It was right on the water and served amazing , fresh shrimp. Almost all of the other customers appeared to be locals.
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
Book a Vallarta Eats Food Tour before you go! This tour was one of the highlights of our trip!

Take advantage of happy hour! All drinks are buy one, get one for $1. They allowed us to buy beer without opening them which we would take back to our room to enjoy after happy hour ended.