To Canada and Back

Veendam Cruise Review to Canada, New England, New York

Contributor Level: Third Mate

7 Night Canada & New England Discovery (Quebec To Boston)
Sail Date: July 05, 2014
Ship: Veendam
Cabin Number: GUAR

My husband and I traveled with my parents on the Veendam and we all had a great time. My husband thought the other passengers were significantly older than our last cruise (to Mexico and Honduras on Celebrity), but I thought that might be due to the destination than the cruise line or ship. Plus, we did see several young families and couples from time to time. The food in the main dining room was generally very delicious, although I wish there had been more vegetarian options some nights. The dining room staff and the room attendants were excellent – extremely friendly, smiled at us and greeted us whenever they saw us other places on the ship, quick service, and very accomodating. The entertainment staff on the ship were really fun (Barry from Boston kept us laughing and singing along a few different nights), but I wasn't as impressed with the comedian and other performers they brought on for one-night performances. The tours the ship offered in different ports turned out to be really interesting as well – overall we had a wonderful experience on the Veendam!

We loved having a small sofa to sit on while eating, reading, or watching movies. Our window looked out at the back of the ship, which was fantastic, except every morning people would be power walking by our windows non-stop.

Order breakfast in your room or go to the main dining room – anything is better than being jostled in the eggs benedict line at the Lido.

There wasn't much to do without booking a tour or renting a car. Anything worth seeing here is about a 45 minute drive away from port.