Veendam Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

A great time!

Sail Date: November 30, 2008

We cruised on the Veendam. It is a little on the outdated side regarding the decor. I understand the ship is going to dry-dock in March to be refurbished. The size of the ship (approx. 1300 guests) is a perfect size.

We ate at the buffet for all breakfasts and lunches and found a large variety of food choices and the food was very good. We ate in the diningroom for all evening meals and they were fabulous. I have been on several cruises and I would have to say that the food on this cruise by far surpassed any from my previous cruises. I can not say enough about how good it was.

The entertainment was good, but personally, I am not a "show" person and usually do not attend the evening entertainment. I went to the shows with my travelling companions and particularly enjoyed the comedian.

The ship provided a variety of other forms of entertainment that I would recommend such as the usual tour of the kitchen, reflexology, cooking and mixology classes. The ship provided enough of these types of activities to keep you as busy as you wished.

The ship and staterooms are kept extremely clean. Staff are extremely helpful and friendly and eager to please for any of your requests.

Pros: The food and service were amazing

Cons: older ship

Recommends Veendam? Yes!

Belize City, Belize
Aerial trekking and cave tubing are well worth the excursion money. I am afraid of heights and would have loved to have gone around again on the ziplining. It does require a bit of a steep climb. The staff for this excursion is very good and are helpful. Unfortunately, like many cruise stops, this is a very poor country to visit.
Don't Miss: Aerial trekking and cave tubing--don't miss it!!!!
Santo Tomas De Castilla, Guatemala
Did the Tour of Two Towns. Enjoyed the stop at the resort. A good way to see what Guatemala is like and remember that Guatemala, like Belize, is a very poor country.
Don't Miss: The send-off by the Guatemalan people at the port
Costa Maya (Mahahual), Mexico
Not much at this port. Did not go in to the village/town, just stayed at the pier area. Nice and clean and a few places to shop. Good time to relax and have a day at the beach--not suitable for swimming but the pool areas look great.
Don't Miss: Just relaxing
Key West, Florida
Of course, keylime pie! The trolley tour was a great way to see a larger area and I think was worth the money. One of the many popular bars is worth the stop as well.