Splendour of the Seas Cruise Review to Europe - Eastern Mediterranean

This was a C+ cruise

Sail Date: September 20, 2008

Overall the Splendour of the Seas was a nice ship although we found the lounges and theater to be smaller than the ones on our previous Royal Caribbean cruises. We enjoyed the Solarium and the Seattle's best Coffee Shop and the casino and the shops were nice. The King and I is a beautiful restaurant, although we did not feel a part of it because we were assigned a table right by the door. Although the food was delicious, we found the service in the King and I to be slow and the bussing service in the Windjammer to be slower. It was extremely hard to find a clean table. One time I even cleared the dishes and took them to the busboy myself. We found the drinks to be expensive and watered down. The biggest disappointment was no Midnight Buffet.
We did not care for the Cruise Director and felt that the "energy" was lacking, compared to other cruises. Also lacking was the attention to detail, which I prided Royal Caribbean for in the past. We also were disappointed in the lack of direction once we got off the ship at the end of the cruise. There was a free shuttle bus but no signs and no system and it was a horrible free for all - not a nice way to end the vacation.

Pros: Food and Ports of call

Cons: Service

Recommends Splendour of the Seas? Yes!

We thought the activities on board were lacking something and we really did not care for the Cruise Director. The Entertainment was very enjoyable.
Layout and cleanliness were good.
The food was excellent but the 2nd seating was very late - 9 PM. We had to change it to Main seating and that it why we probably had the horrible location mentioned above.
We did not experience any "going above & beyond". We felt the attention to detail was lacking.
Our stateroom was a decent size with an excellent location.
Katakolon (Olympia), Greece
I could do without this port. Although I know the draw is Olympia, I would have preferred Santorini instead.
Piraeus (Athens), Greece
The tour was good but the shopping was rushed.
Don't Miss: The Parthenon
Split, Croatia
Corfu, Greece
We did not appreciate going on a boat ride and then being charged for it afterwards. The guide made it seem like it was included. She never said that it was extra and then when we approached her about it she said she thought it was understood.
Mykonos, Greece
The Jewelry stores recommended by the ship were a waste of time.