Splendour of the Seas Cruise Review to Europe - Eastern Mediterranean

Great time.

Sail Date: July 20, 2007

This was our first cruise and overall we enjoyed the experience. The excursions were great and the ports were fun places to visit. We booked our trip through RCI and they handled our questions well. Our airline bookings were fine but we were seated in middle seats when we expressly requested aisle/middle seats together.
The sign-in process was very unorganized. They wanted to get us out of there as quickly as possible without explaining anything. We tried to get someone that spoke english as a 1st language but that was not happenning. Once we got on board, we had a hard time getting someone to answer a few questions because it was so hectic.
The housekeeping staff was professional, friendly and efficent and the same goes with the wait staff, bartenders and purser's desk attendants.
Overall, the staff and the ship's officers were great to talk to. We even had a chance to go to the bridge as the ship was sailing to see how it operates.
Our room was clean but it was probably due for an update in the next few years. The bed was comfortable and we slept well. They had a cellular service on board which made keeping in touch with my family very easy. The peace of mind that provided made the trip that much more relaxing.

We enjoyed the pools, especially the Solarium pool which didn't have anyone under 16. It was a great place to unwind and have a few drinks after the excursions.

My wife took advantage of the Spa and enjoyed a massage while I sampled different tropical drinks at the Schooner bar, which was as crowded as a local bar on Friday night. The after dinner shows were entertaining and lasted about 45 minutes, which was not too long. The late night scene was too late for us because the excursion schedule usually had us awake at 7am..
I preferred the informal meal setting while my wife wanted to eat everything in ther King and I restaurant. The meals were good, but not five star quality. I was told that if I wanted to go on a cruise just for the food, not to go on this ship. That might have been too harsh a judgement, because we enjoyed it but we're not food critics either.

All in all, I'll say it was a good experience for our first cruise and we will be cruising again in the future, but probably with our kids. Good ports of call, good excursions, good accomodations and good food/drinks.

Pros: Ports of call were great

Cons: Initial check in was poorly organized.

Recommends Splendour of the Seas? Yes!

The ship was in great shape.
I would have liked additional dining options (fancy steak or seafood dining).
Bed was comfortable.
Kusadasi (Ephesus), Turkey
The sales people in the port city were very aggressive.
Don't Miss: The Temple and house of the Virgin Mary were the must see here.
Dubrovnik, Croatia
Some shop were unfriendly but overall the experience was good.
Don't Miss: The fortress castle was amazing.
Corfu, Greece
This being the last port, we didn't spend that much time ashore because we were so tired from the past few days of 100 degree heat.
Santorini, Greece
Like Crete, the towns were small and the sights were great.
Don't Miss: Eat a meal overlooking the harbor.
Iraklion (Heraklion), Crete
We enjoyed the bus tour through the small towns.