Not up to expectations

Sky Princess Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

Cruises: 7+ cruises

Overall rating:

Sky Princess

7 Night Western Caribbean (Fort Lauderdale Roundtrip)

Sail date: January 18, 2020

Ship: Sky Princess

Cabin type: Balcony

Cabin number: B621

Traveled as: Singles/Friends

Review summary

I know princess can do better. To me sometimes it’s the little things like not having to ask multiple times for the robe, not receiving the elite amenities gift bag goodies, waiting 2 days for the elite mini bar setup and my preordered water pkg, waiting an hour for anythime dining and the seating and show hours in the theater. I certainly hate the fact that certain travel agents bring huge groups (from 400 the first week and 1000 the second week)and close venues to regular passengers. When they congregate together such as a pool area there is no room for anyone else.

Embarkation

Breeze with medallion

Ship experiences

On after demanding to be changed to traditional, at least we could get a table even if not our preferred times. Food was just okay in dining rooms, the Crown Grill food was good but slow service (like 3 hours), the buffet had a large variety but hot was elusive, lukewarm at best. Service was good but the servers everywhere are short staffed.

Almost never saw Alexander (CD) but did see his people around running Zumba, line dancing etc. Pool—well you need fight the pool hogs at every pool which were packed. The biggest problem is all pools are ladder entry and exit, no stairs.

The production shows Rock Opera and 5 Skies are not aimed at the age demographic of Princess passengers. Still you needed to be in a seat over an hour before any show. Again the saving of seats is out of control. The show times of 6:30 and 8:30 certainly works against your dining times. The Static band in the Piazza was wonderful but considerably loud because of the location. I found out the Princess had a TA group of 1000 on our 22nd week. They use certain venues each night that are then closed to other passengers. Not fair to the rest of us as it makes venues that are open even more crowded

The service and staff all get kudos. They are overworked and understaffed. Captain Tuvo is a huge plus to this ship, out and about anywhere at anytime, always available to guests.

The ship is beautiful. We took the ultimate ship tour, so we even went below decks and the bridge.

Balcony deluxe. Only the smaller balcony is smaller than other ships I’ve been on. My cabin steward, Bernardo was wonderful.

Ship tip

If the ship is sold out, make tradition dining reservations or you will be waiting until way after 8pm for anytime dining unless you choose the buffet.

Ports of call

George Town, Grand Cayman

Snorkel excursion through Princess but I don’t consider 49 people a small size tour.

Coxen Hole, Roatan, Bay Islands, Honduras

Rainy day so the beach was out. Found the best liquor prices at the shops at the terminal.

Belize City, Belize

Altún Ha ruins good, but again not a small group through Princess. I wouldn’t be comfortable walking the streets. Every home had with barbed wire and window bars. Must be a reason.

San Gervasio ruins good. Again large group. The shops near the port are good but again soldiers in the streets make me uncomfortable.

Disembarkation

Easy. Even homeland is only facial recognition, through is seconds.