Nice relaxing cruise

Ruby Princess Cruise Review to Coastal - West Coast

Cruises: 7+ cruises

Overall rating:

Ruby Princess

7 Night Classic California Coast (Los Angeles Roundtrip)

Sail date: November 03, 2018

Ship: Ruby Princess

Cabin type: Inside

Cabin number: A343

Traveled as: Singles/Friends

Review summary

I was just on to relax and finish a couple of books. This was 5th straight time on the Ruby. Next cruise is on the Star. But I do like the Ruby. The staff I’ve encountered (with the exception of the cruise right before dry dock) has been excellent. I think there will be a sixth cruise on the Ruby before too long, although I did hear that Royal Princess is taking it's place in LA.

Embarkation

Didn’t have to sit and wait to board. I got to the terminal at 12:20. Checked in at the counter. After the security checkpoint went to board the ship.

Ship experiences

I don’t cruise for the food. This week the free food ranged from good to awful. Buffet was hit and miss. MDR was just okay. Didn’t do any specialty restaurants this time but in the past it was very good. The Burgers, Hot Dogs, and Pizza are still good.

I used the fitness center often. It’s a good one. Also I did the ship tour again. This time we got to see the medical center, last time we didn’t. I enjoyed doing the tour again.

Lot more upbeat than the cruise I did the week before drydock. Great staff!

The main differences after dry dock are big info screens all over the place. Remodeled Burger, Pizza, and Ice Cream stand. There are extra items that have a charge at the Burger and Pizza stand. The free items are also still available. I just got the free items.

This room was just fine for me on this trip. No problems. The air conditioning on the Ruby still isn’t so good but my room got cooler than the last cruise.

Ports of call

San Pedro (Los Angeles), California

San Francisco, California

Monterey, California

I did the Carmel Mission and the Monterey Aquarium Excursion. Worth it! Last time I was at that aquarium was back in the late ‘80’s. It’s so much better now.

San Diego, California

I love this city. So much to do here. I visit there often. Having said that I did nothing this time except sit at the end of one of the piers with my camera. I read my book, took pics/videos, and just enjoyed the scenery for two hours. Went back onboard to eat then did the same thing up in Skywalkers. I was a very boring traveler and that’s exactly what I wanted. I got two books done and took lots of pictures/videos to post online eventually.

Disembarkation

I was off the ship and out of the terminal at 7:20am!