Ruby Princess Cruise Review to Coastal - West Coast

Very Good Staff But Loooooong Lines!

Sail Date: December 15, 2015

Comparing this cruise to a similar one we took on Crown Princess in Sept. 2014, I have to say that the staff (dining room, buffet, front desk) on Ruby Princess was nearly flawless, but somehow the Ruby Princess acquired looooong lines for everything, particularly for meals.  We had "Anytime" dining, but they don't tell you that only 20% of the dining room seats are available for reservation, and those few are gone (at  least for the 5:30 dining time) between 8-9:15 a.m.. If you don't have a reservation,  the queues for 5:30 admission start forming up at 4:45 !  There is even something of a (shorter) line for those who DO have reservations! And we were completely unable to get into the Afternoon Tea that is supposed to run from 3:30-4:30.  We arrived at 3:40 and the line was so long and so slow-moving that 45 min. later, we'd only advanced a few feet and gave up.  On the Plus side, we were really happy that there were many more ballroom dance opportunities this time, and even ballroom dance classes!  May ballroom dancing long continue on Princess!  The stage shows were quite good, especially the Magic Musical on the final night:  an excellent production with very, very high-energy performers.  Since the weather was cold outside, we were very glad to have a good assortment of movies available on our stateroom TV (most of the other daytime activities were either sales talks or games like bingo or trivia). Would have appreciated some craft classes or real lectures that were not selling something.   However, on balance, this cruise was a good value for a short break.

Good layout & plenty of storage/closet. The one exception to good layout was the tiny, trangular shower: I am 5'2" & 115 lbs & it was still a tight squeeze for me, with the shower curtain periodically attacking me! Also the venting of shower steam could have been a little more effective. I have a back problem and the bed would have been too hard, if not for the great "rescue" performed by our steward, Inri, who found me an egg-crate foam pad, which really saved the nights! Thank you for having those available!
It's not your fault but the Customs back-up put disembarkation way behind. The wheelchair-assist staff saved the day and saved us from 2 hr. long Customs/Immigation lines on disembarkation; I am not currently capable of standing up that long. I would have liked to see wheelchair-assist from the curb through Security for embarkation, too. ALL of the wheelchair-assist staff were super-nice!
N/A (This was non-stop from Vancouver to L.A., so no excursions.)
I almost rated this as a "smile" because you added so many more ballroom dance opportunities; the only reason I didn't was the lack of intellectual content in the daytime activities.
The Magic Musical stage show on the final night was so good that it really "made" the whole cruise's entertainment experience.
Top marks to Randy in the Michaelangelo and to our steward, Inri. Excellent service from both!
Staff were excellent, in both the buffet & dining room. However, the food was less exciting than what we had on Crown Princess a year ago. I was especially disappointed when elements that were described on the menu (e.g. Sweetbreads & chicken tarts) had been done "on the cheap," e.g. no real sweetbreads in it.

If you want an "Anytime" dining reservation for 5:30 p.m., you need to phone Reservations right at 8:00 a.m..