Regal Princess Cruise Review to Europe - Northern Europe

The Baltic Was a Ball!

Sail Date: July 29, 2015

Not really knowing what to expect from a Baltic Cruise, I have to say we had a great time. There were a few exceptions to that statement, but overall it was wonderful.

The food wasn't near as good as I was expecting. Most meat dishes were tough. The steak (on steak night) had so much tenderizer on it, that I had to scrape it off to eat it.
Breakfasts were fine as were lunches, although it wasn't clear where we should go for meals except for dinner. The hamburgers up by the pool were as tough and grizzly as any I've ever seen!
The exception here was our cabin steward. It seems that this was his first cruise as he failed to get most anything right. We had to ask specifically for things we wanted and needed, including a request to change our sheets and linens. Could we get ice everyday: Nope. Would he replace the can of Coke that my wife drank: Nope. Overall, he became a sad joke. The rest of the staff couldn't have been better, which may be why our steward looked so bad.
Our excursions were great, with one very bizarre exception: We planned 3 different trips in the St. Petersberg excursion and one was The Russian Ballet. I was informed by everyone including a friend from Russia that this was THE MAIN EVENT for elegant dressing... so I rented a tux and my wife bought a beautiful formal outfit. From the moment we started to exit the ship, I knew I was in trouble. I was the only man wearing a tuxedo. When we got to the theatre (disappointing as well) I was, again, the only man wearing a tux (paid $125.00 to rent it prior to cruising). Pretty much a rag-tag group and I did feel out of place. The ballet itself was in a rather rundown theatre performed by fairly amateurish artists. Well, at least I can say I attended the Russian Ballet!
The cabin was fine with a good design and more room than I expected. The steward was another story: see above!

My wife and I aren't big on crowds, so when I discovered the room service menu, we were delighted. We knew we could have a continental breakfast any day on our balcony, but a full meal was wonderful... sadly, I didn't learn about this until the last day. Maybe better service by our steward would he