Radiance of the Seas Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

Great time!

Sail Date: March 19, 2011

Very pretty and clean ship. Lots of nice art and accessible bars and food areas throughout the ship. Loved the hours of availability for the room service and the dining areas. Our balconey room was wonderful.

Pros: My room, and the friendliness of several of the staff!

Cons: The competition for pool chairs on the first day at sea, and the difficulty of getting an elevator at times.

Recommends Radiance of the Seas? Yes!

Gerry, our stateroom guy, was great! He had little towell creations hanging to amuse us at night. On the night before departure I asked my teens how it was that they had everything ready to go so quickly, and they said Gerry kept putting things back in their suitcases, keeping them organized. I didn't have to even go in their room. Lucy, in the Solarium Bar was very friendly and sweet. Allan in the Schooner Bar was wonderful and remembered our names, and our kids names. Derryck in the Casino Bar was the only one who had any sense of urgency when it came to taking care of everyone. The rest of the Casino Bartenders were slow and somewhat "put-out" acting (except Lucy, who worked breaks there). It seemed there were two types of servers; ones who treated us like tourist "scum", and the others who were very hospitable and friendly. Dikga and Lenny on our last night (when we finally go to sit by our friends) were the best in my restaurant . Bev servers should know wine list better.
These activity directors are heroes. When do they sleep?
We had two rooms, one on the port side of the ship, and one on the starboard. In the hallway on the port side, it was very smelly at first, but seemed to get better toward the end of the cruise. Someone probably flushed something they shouldn't have...not sure. All the other public areas were very nice and the spotless. The decor was very nice, and the layout was efficient.
Food quality was great. We had chosen "My time" dining and wanted to change that to "late seating" dining so we could sit near our friends who booked later than us. Even though there was an open table next to them for three nights, it was very difficult to persuade the staff to let us sit near our friends for the last night because we had originally taken "my time". I didn't like my time dining, because there were no reservations available for early times, and often not until 8:45 pm anyway. A little confusing. Our night at "Chops" was great. The food was great, service very nice, and dessert was fantastic. Windjammer was good and served its purpose; a little Golden Corral feel to it, but I realize that's how buffets go.
Our stateroom was the last on the starboard side, which was a little hike to the elevator, but otherwise wonderful. We were worried because we had an "obscured" balconey but I will ask for the same room next time! Obscured meant our balconey was twice the size of everyone else's balconey, and had a piece of the ship that blocked the sun so you could sit outside and not bake. It was large enough that I never felt crowded, comfy bed, two pillows each, and I could shut the bed off from the sitting area with a curtain so my husband could sleep while I finished a movie.
Costa Maya (Mahahual), Mexico
We went to the "downtown" area. The solicitation was non-stop, beach kind of rocky with coral. Next time I'll stay by the swim-up pool. Best thing was the price of massage on the beach.
Pancho and Sancho at San Francisco beach.
Don't Miss: Senor Frogs near the dock. What a crazy party.