Disappointed first time cruiser

Oasis of the Seas Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

Cruises: 1 cruise (first)

Overall rating:

Oasis of the Seas

7 Night Western Caribbean (Port Canaveral Roundtrip)

Sail date: October 01, 2017

Ship: Oasis of the Seas

Cabin type: Inside

Cabin number: 11149

Traveled as: Family (young children)

Review summary

80% disaster, would never do it again even if I was paid. We were looking for a fun family vacation to bond together with shared family memories through fun activities and there was very little that my entire family could do together within the sleep schedule kids naturally require. The needs of the young children were more than difficult to fulfill with the many restrictions and lack of proper accomodations. The trip was exhausting because of how complicated the ships many different schedules, rules, hidden rules, regulations, physical restrictions, waivers, lines, lines, and more lines. There were blockages for a wheel chair or stroller everywhere we went which slowed us down horribly. With how many lawn chairs and cleaning carts we had to move, we should have worked for the boat. Everything I paid for in advance was either broken or poorly managed with hidden problems like food, drinks, soda, Jamaica excursion timeline and the endless lines and last minute restrictions on 80% of everything we tried. However if I made a mistake like: want to swim with my toddlers from 7-9pm or in the same place as my other children, do an activity or show with all 6 of us without waiting 60+ minutes, turn my towel into housekeeping instead of on the pool deck at two specific places, keep alcoholic beverages away from my kids at the pool and hot tub, get help at guest services before waiting 40 min in line, find a place outside our room all four kids could play together for 30 minutes that didnt require 100% of my attention to keep them from violating ANOTHER silly rule or running into alcohol or tobacco use, find 2 diapers the last evening of the trip (I actually had to beg random parents to get 2 diapers, done at the request of guest services, and shop keepers), get my stroller with two sleeping babies through the hall to my room, get help learning how the ship works and where to go for what my family needs, let my 3 year old who is professionally trained at rock climbing, climb with her brothers, checking babies and toddlers in and out of child care in under 40 minutes, Then I was treated strictly and unforgivingly and turned away. It was more than frustrating, and overwhelming trying to care for the basic needs of my family which made it very difficult to have fun. The ship is not for families because it is unforgiving, and unaccomodating to the basic nerds of little ones. 7 different families complained to me about there concerns as well when they struggled with the same concerns I did. The ship is Unacceptable for families 80% of the time and I was extreemly disappointed is how I would describe this experience. While on the ship, I felt more like I was cattle being herded and pushed in the direction they wanted rather than a family on a trip to build lasting memories together. Of our entire 3 week family vacation in Orlando, including the cruise, the 6 days on the ship were by far the least memory building/ bonding, or fun experience for my family. Sad because I had wanted to try a cruise since I was young and my hubby and I worked overtime many many weekends to try this cruise but after this experience I have absolutely no desire to go on another cruise ever again. The kids liked the endless pizza and ice cream they could have had if I had let them have more than 3 ice cream cones or pizza slices a day. We paid for surf lessons which were really fun and went as described and expected, the zip line, pool, and minigolf were great for my hubby and older kids. The toddlers enjoyed the ever after on ice, glass elevators, and the carousel. The rest had potential to be fun but was thwarted by rules, restrictions, and lines. Wish I would have known in advance this cruise is not for families with young children they want to spend time with, not drop at child care or split apart 80% of the time.

Embarkation

2.5 hours to get through check in line was excessive

Ship experiences

Chuck a rama would have been a huge upgrade. Very very disappointed. Was thirsty 80% of the time because it's hard to get water when you need it. Hard to take care of young children properly with all their silly rules and restrictions.

I went on a cruise to relax and try fun new activities. The only thing there is more of than people, is restrictions, rules, and amount of time standing in line. I signed all waivers before going to save time and still spent many more hours signing more waivers for activities onboard. After waiting in massively long and excessive lines, was rushed through every activity we did or turned away for something ridiculous. Royal Caribbean has many hidden charges, nobody can figure out what activity, itinerary, or a price because it's so complicated. Nobody helps first timers figure out what to do. Very Disappointed!!!!!!!!

Ice skating show was fabulous, surf was cool. Dive show was pathetic, bands were not very good.

My older children complained of being bored and went to see two shows with me so they didn't have to go to the kids club ages 11 and 10. The 3 year old area my daughter went once and was beat up by 2 kids and started sobbing, her older brother saw it through the glass and wanted to help her but we instead waited in line for another 20 minutes while the other people in front of us checked their kids out. Meanwhile she's crying the entire time and begging for me or her brother to hold her because they couldn't find her blanket or get the line moving any quicker. After that we decided to stick together as a family the entire trip, wasn't worth letting our daughter get beat up and cry for 30 min for a hug while we watched as the clueless staff maintained the ships super strict rules.

Helpful. Nice. Courteous. Swift. Accommodating.

Cleanliness and maintenance gets 5 stars. Design does not. Cold water and cups should be easily accessible at all times every 200ft. Get cold water fountains with footpedals for cleanliness and waterbottle fillers. The lack of ability to get water easily is unacceptable.

Fridge was broken the entire cruise, so they brought us a medical fridge for the babies breast milk but it was cumbersome and took a lot of room from our already tight quarters. Rose was amazing. Kept the room looking great. Was told by travel agent we had two rooms one of which was a larger family room but we didn't. That was hard to manage a family with. Nobody got what they needed (sleep, rest, water, food, basic entertainment) most of the week.

Ship tip

Get your money back or don't go at all, not for families with all different age levels. Especially the young ones. The ship wants you to drop them at day care all the time and pay a fortune for it. It is perfect if u use casinos and arcade a lot because those are the only things available 24 hours, well maintained, and functioning properly. Royal Carribeans priorities were very clear, spend all your money, wash your hands often, with as many people as can possibly fit legally.

Ports of call

Labadee (Cruise Line Private Island)

Good, food wasn't good but zip line was

Falmouth, Jamaica

Excursion was rushed. People need to be warned that even though they offer activities that is 6-8 hours worth of entertainment, they only get 4 hours to do it so they have to pick 2 favorites because they can't do everything that's offered. Especially when transportation takes over half of the time they have planned.

Cozumel, Mexico Did not visit port

Disembarkation

Getting off the ship was smooth. Retrieving tagged luggage was a big nightmare. We put multiple tags on our items, all with the same number, and the carseat we had was picked up wrong and it tore the lining and padding off which pulled 2 luggage tags off and hid the other one. Finally found the luggage in a random corner of the baggage claim all beat up with hiddent tag. Actually found some of the used tags on the ground. We waisted more time in long lines to retrieve that as well. To be honest, the entire last day and a half my husband and I kept looking at each other and asking, is this over yet. Get me off this terrible boat. One disaster after another, the entire cruise except for the excursion days was horrible and I found myself wishing I was home instead of stuck on that ship, waiting in line for the next disaster royal carribean put our family through that I would have to endure. Being home is much more relaxing and accommodating to the basic needs of my family than that ship. We booked it as fun family vacation and left feeling like it was anything but a family friendly vacation 80% of the cruise.