Is Bigger Better?

Oasis of the Seas Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

Contributor Level: Third Mate

7 Night Western Caribbean (Ft. Lauderdale Roundtrip)
Sail Date: September 24, 2016
Ship: Oasis of the Seas

After years of hoping to sail on the Oasis one day, that day finally came. Sadly, all that excitement and anticipation turned to disappointment when it came to the food included in the sailing price. I was shocked to see that they actually had selections on the dining room menu that had a premium charge connected with them. Isn't it enough that most ships now have premium pay restaurants which are supposed to provide an exceptional dining experience. When I first started cruising, 30 years ago, the main dining room provided an exceptional dining experience at every meal. Those days are gone and they must have disappeared in the past 3 years (last time I cruised).

I was concerned that on such a large ship there would be long lines, difficult embarkation and debarkation but there were few times when you had to wait in lines and they were no longer than on smaller ships. Entertainment remains spectacular with ice skating shows, Cats, Come Fly with Me aerial acrobatics and the Aqua Theaters diving and synchronized swimming show. And there remain many clubs and music venues to chose from. I was disappointed with the TV choices in the stateroom and now you have to pay $11 for a pay per view movie. Very minimal amount of movies shown on the big screen outside.For people with children, this seems like a very good ship to choose. There are Dreamworks character appearances, Dreamworks TV programs, special pool areas for kids and special kids programs.

There are some really nice adult only areas too. The solarium area is quieter, more plush and inviting but too warm at times. And Central Park is a great place to enjoy the tranquility of the area as long as blaring music from the main pool area isn't drifting in there.

Overall, it is a great ship. I guess I just can't get past the fact that if you want to have really good meals on board or juicy thick hamburgers and creamy ice cream, expect to be paying the premium charges for places like Ben & Jerry's, Starbucks, Johnny Rockets or one of the numerous specialty restaurants. Personally, I would rather see the cruise lines charging an extra $250 up front and have all those special things included in the price instead of nickle and diming you to death once on board.

We were in a Handicapped Balcony cabin which was very spacious and accommodated my needs.

Book shows in advance, make dining reservations in advance and bring lots of extra cash.

Really nice new port area. There is plenty of shopping right there and it was easy to take my electric scooter off the ship to do a bit of shopping there.