Nice but a little disappointed

Oasis of the Seas Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western
Helpful Vote: 1

Oasis of the Seas

7 Night Western Caribbean (Ft. Lauderdale Roundtrip)

Sail Date: November 21, 2015

Ship: Oasis of the Seas

Cabin Type: Suite

Review Summary

My husband and I set sail for a Thanksgiving cruise aboard Oasis. This was our 6th cruise and 2nd with RCI. My disappointment is mostly with how infrequently you see the ocean. This was the only cruise I've taken where I felt like I was in a mall rather than a ship. They do a lovely job and the service and room were excellent so I can't really fault RCI. My review has more to do with preferences.

I like the Freedom and Voyager class ships better due to layout. I was not happy with the movie screen being in the AquaTheater - it was rarely used by anyone. I also didn't like that on Oasis the jogging track is on deck 5 (I think) behind the life boats. I prefer it to be at the top of the ship where you can enjoy the ocean views. I am thankful we had a balcony so I had a view as well as a quiet place to read or have breakfast.

I recommend Oasis only for active families with kids since this is not what I'd consider romantic for a couple. Again, due to preferences. Oasis is too large and doesn't feel enough like you're at sea to me so I will stick to the smaller ships or Disney Cruise Line.

Ship Experiences

The food at Chops and 150 Central Park was ho hum but the service was impeccable. Giovanni's had both great food and service. The main dining room and room service were good. I will commend RCI for improving their room service menu as well.

I know it will be hard to believe but we are in our mid-30's and we had a difficult time finding activities that interested us. I played Bingo (and won a free cruise) but aside from the nightly shows I was disinterested. Not normally an issue for me.

Oasis was clean and well kept. I prefer the design on their smaller ships so I won't knock the rating for a personal preference.

Our cabin was excellent. We normally do a balcony but would now prefer to stay in JS or above. The walk in closet and extra space really made a difference. We were on the hump so our balcony was rather large with a bistro table and 2 chairs plus 2 sun loungers. VERY, VERY nice.

Make all of your evening show reservations as soon as booking them is available, usually 90 days before sailing. Also, do not miss the Quest!

Ports Of Call

Ft. Lauderdale (Port Everglades), Florida

Labadee (Cruiseline Private Island)

Falmouth, Jamaica