Oasis of the Seas Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

My very first cruise

Sail Date: November 22, 2014

Traveled As: Family w/young children

Very first cruise, but not exactly what I expected.  I was very impressed with the size and cleanliness of the ship.  The staff were very friendly, courteous and helpful.  The downsides for us were: (1) we expected more family-oriented activities.  It seemed the activities were geared towards kids in the clubs and activities for grown-ups separately; (2) we were charged $12.00 per day per person in the stateroom for gratuities (three of us).  We weren't sure if this could be changed in any way, but it seemed a hidden cost.  We would have liked to tip our service providers ourselves based on how we ranked their service; (3) there was no iron or laundry facilities onboard as we were told there would be.  As such we paid the cruise line for every item that needed to be pressed and had to send my husband's suits back to be re-done as they came back worst than when we sent them and my formal dress was simply not pressed!; (4) the drinks package was a joke!  the cheapest package was $19.00 per day per person (non-alcoholic).  I'm not sure if other people can consume that much in sodas, lattes and fruit punch daily, but it would take the three of us to consume that much.  If you wanted a soda or fruit punch, you had no choice because all the ship offered was water, flavored water, lemonade, and at breakfast, an apple juice that was too sweet to consume; (5) the excursions were very expensive and everyone seemed to beg for tips upon tips:  tip the driver, tip the tour guide, tip the guide on the river climb, tip the videographer and purchase his videos. Then on the transfer to the airport, the driver asked a bus load of people to not forget about him.  He stood at the bottom of the stairs with his hand out and actually, grabbed my husband's arm and stated "nothing for the driver".  I thought paying for the excursion included payment for all these people!  it was simply over-whelming.

CLEAN!!! Every day staff were cleaning and wiping down the areas
Good options for meals
Friendly, courteous, helpful staff
entertainment was OK, I thought it could have been better and more geared towards activities for the entire family.
My newly turned 12 year old seemed to have been in a strange group. We tried to drop her off for ice skating and was told that one of us had to stay with her. My husband stayed and missed the show we had reserved.
Too expensive and there should be more guidance on what's included in the price of the excursions so that we know if our tips are really the only means of payment for some of these drivers, and guides.
Cabin was decent size for three people. During the cruise my husband had difficulty sleeping because of the creaking noises the ship made as we moved from port to port.
Ft. Lauderdale (Port Everglades), Florida
Labadee (Cruiseline Private Island)
It was nice to be at the beach during winter : - )
Falmouth, Jamaica