Norwegian Star Cruise Review to Europe - Northern Europe

A Memorable 50th Anniversary Cruise

Sail Date: September 05, 2016

Our Baltic cruise was perfect!  The weather was unusually warm and sunny the entire 9 days. Our 2 days is St. Petersburg were our favorites because we got to spend the most time there, although a 3rd day would have been even better.  We didn't have enough time to truly explore Helsinki or Stockholm but thoroughly enjoyed our time there.  The food on the ship was, of course, outstanding with plenty of variety.  We love being able to eat any time we want without having to dress up. The staff were all extremely friendly and helpful, the stateroom small but ample and cleaned every day. (I wish I could bring Lobo home with me!)  I definitely recommend this tour.  We took local transportation most of the places without any difficulty with the exception of St. Petersburg, where we used a local travel agency instead of the more expensive cruise lines' tour.  We thoroughly enjoy interacting with the locals, who usually speak excellent English and are very helpful.  I was in a wheelchair and was able to travel with ease.

Cruise Photos

Our cabin was small but ample. My collapsible wheelchair also fit into the room without too much trouble. The porthole helped dispel my claustrophobia while allowing us a "view" of the waves and ports. The room and the tiny bathroom were kept immaculately clean, much better than our house!
Onboard Activities We didn't participate in any activities other than the evening entertainment, which was excellent.
Copenhagen, Denmark
We use the 1-Day Tourist Pass to access all local transportation and loved it. Ride anywhere for 24 hours for one price.
Warnemunde (Berlin), Germany
Instead of taking the train to Berlin, we took a local ferry to Rostok and then walked around Warnemunde. Very lovely, picturesque, and relaxing.
Tallinn, Estonia
Rather than taking a tour, we walked to the old city easily. The cobblestones made using the wheelchair a challenge, but we persevered and had a great time.
St. Petersburg, Russian Federation
We used Insider Tours both days and had a great time. Less expensive than Norwegian's cost and very personal. Valentina's command of English is great and her knowledge, wonderful.
Helsinki, Finland
We walked to the main sites and thoroughly enjoyed the beautiful scenery and friendly people. Again, cobblestones are not particularly wheelchair friendly but are doable.
Stockholm, Sweden
We used the Hop-on-Hop-Off bus tour here. We had trouble initially getting the commentary to work properly, but eventually got it figured out. Our bus drivers stopped too long at several stops, really upsetting another passenger. (I suspect he fussed about most things in his life!) Glad we got out and walked rather than trying to do the entire circuit first; we wouldn't have made it back to the ship in time. Just not enough time to really get my fill of sightseeing here.