Norwegian Star Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

Amazing experience

Sail Date: March 20, 2016

Room Type: Suite

I'm not sure where all the terrible reviews come from. We had an amazing vacation from the moment we set foot on the boat. Nothing but friendly, hard working staff. Wasn't very impressed with the Tampa port. Embarking was a bit messy. The staff seemed overwhelmed but were mostly friendly. However, disembarking was a whole other story. Not a good experience at all. But back to the boat!

We  had dinner in Versailles the first night and loved the food. The rest of the week we hit the buffet for breakfast and dinner. The selection was always pleasing. The seafood, particularly the shrimp and salmon selections were my favorite. The desserts in Versailles and the buffet were my least favorite. The irish pub had the best desserts and amazing burgers. Weren't impressed with the wings at all, I'd say just skip the wings at the pub.

This was our 8 year old twin boys first cruise and with it being 7 days, I decided to upgrade to a mini suite. It was worth EVERY penny! I decided to take a risk and go with the "guaranteed" rate. Luck paid off and we were assigned room 11130. It was the perfect location for us. It was midship, located under the buffet seating(by my estimate). It was quiet except for the occasional unsupervised kid running down the hall. The room was large, clean and that balcony, I can not recommend the balcony enough. We had plenty of room for the 4 of us. The beds were rather firm but comfortable to me. I suggest bringing a wall shoe organizer and using it to organize sun glasses, sun screen, room keys, hair ties, anything small that you might need to grab on your way out. The bathroom was large and well organized with a line to hang clothes to dry and shelves and hooks to hang towels. Bring a European outlet converter! While the boat does say the rooms have both, the boat was made in Europe. Therefore, there are 2-3 European outlets and one us outlet.

While I had no trouble at all with the closet, I do agree with others that the design is poor. I'm 5'4 and small, so it was easy for me to use but I could definitely see where a taller person would struggle with it. The A/C ran cold, always had fresh towels and our room steward, Jobell was awesome!

Our boys LOVED the kid pool and slides. But watch out, theres NO staff supervision. Parents seem to let their kids loose. This was the only complaint we had on the cruise.

We booked all of our excursions before hand and did not use the boat.

Tampa, Florida
Coxen Hole, Roatan, Bay Islands, Honduras
Belize City, Belize
Go cave tubing! cavetubing.bz or butts up
Costa Maya (Mahahual), Mexico
If you want to see spectacular ruins, be able to climb them and not be bother by giant tour buses and large crowds, go to Dzibanche! Yes it is a 2 hr drive each way but its well worth the drive. We used The Native Choice.