Jewel repositioning cruise 4/22-5/7/07

Norwegian Jewel Cruise Review to Transatlantic

15 Night Spring Transatlantic (Miami To Athens)
Sail Date: April 22, 2007
Ship: Norwegian Jewel
Embarkation in Miami was remarkably well done considering we were hundreds of people in a hot tent. Luggage to the cabin in less than two hours! The cabin was spacious (as much as possible on a ship), clean, well laid out with lots of storage. The items pre-ordered to be in the cabin were there and the stewards checked in almost immediately upon arrival. There are a wide selection of dining venues with quality varying from expected to excellent and service varied from expected at Tsar's to excellent at Blue Lagoon/Tapas. Entertainment, except for the Cirque Bijou, was so-so. The spa was wonderful. The shops were OK but I had two bad experiences with the Columbian Emeralds booth and would not recommend them to anyone. The shore excursion through the ship to Pompeii was wonderful but the one to Knossos was very disappointing and when I voiced this to the shore excursion desk they offered a discount on my fee for the excursion and handled my complaint professionally and promptly.
I took the hop on/off bus around town and went to the botanic gardens. Just watching the people was entertaining.
Don't Miss: From the top of the hill looking down into the port and seeing the Jewel looking like a toy boat in a pool.
Knossos is phenomenal. However, I would recommend checking out the guide and making sure that all the events advertised for the excursion are actually delivered. We did not get to the museum or even a map of the site from our guide who was difficult to hear and not responsive to our requests to speak up. If I had not done a lot of reading about the site ahead of time I would have been very disappointed instead of just somewhat disappointed.
Don't Miss: The ruins at Knossos.
Don't Miss: The ruins at Knossos.
I took the train into Rome and then got on the Hop on/off bus and visited as many of the sites as I could before time to head back to the ship. This is definitely the way to go.
Don't Miss: The fora in the heart of ancient Rome and watching the traffic and being glad I wasn't driving.
Took the ship's shore excursion to Pompeii and was very pleased.
Don't Miss: The ruins and pistacio gelato from the stands outside the entrance.
Took the ship's shore excursion to Pompeii and was very pleased.
Don't Miss: The ruins and pistacio gelato from the stands outside the entrance.

Pros: Mandara Spa

Cons: constant pressure to spend

Recommends Norwegian Jewel? Yes!