Port Canaveral & Bahamas cruise - August 29, 2015

Norwegian Gem Cruise Review to Caribbean - Bahamas

Contributor Level: Third Mate

7 Night Bahamas & Florida (New York Roundtrip)
Sail Date: August 29, 2015
Ship: Norwegian Gem

Our itinerary was going to be changed due to a Tropical Storm headed to the Bahamas, but at the last minute, we were able to keep the same itinerary.  The weather was perfect for the entire trip and calm seas.  The GEM has a variety of different types of entertainment to keep you busy all day and night.

Their private island in Bahamas is a very relaxing experience.  Food and music was provided along with games and water sports.  There are always plenty of lounge chairs for everyone, which is a plus.

Nassau can be quite overwhelming with vendors, but I took the Blue Lagoon  Beach excursion which was terrific.  You board a small boat and they show you a few of the local attractions on the way to the beach.  There is a lovely beach with chairs under the palm trees, lunch was provided along with dolphins and sea lions to observe at your leisure.  It is a very relaxing excursion and well worth it.

If you are a single/solo cruiser, I recommend attending the gathering every evening lead by a cruise staff member.  It is really a great place to meet others who are traveling alone and would enjoy dining with someone.  I hooked up with a few and we hung out the entire cruise.

The only unpleasant observation I noticed at times was in the main dining room.  Without assigned seating, it appears that the waiters/waitresses are so overwhelmed with serving table after table, that they do forget to bring you what you requested.  I will always prefer assigned seating where you can enjoy a more relaxed atmosphere each night.

All in all, Norwegian does a great job and would recommend it to anyone.

Deck 4 cabins are very, very small. I was a single cruiser and it was perfect. Bathrooms are the tiniest I have every experienced.

I must comment on the pool area. I was very happy to see that children were told to use their pool only. Often times, during my week on cruise, children were in adult pool. Hoorah..........There also seemed to be enough chairs on decks during sea days. That is a plus!