Norwegian Gem Cruise Review to Caribbean - Bahamas

Norwegian Gem - 2/26 - 3/5

Sail Date: February 26, 2011

Fantastic trip. With a cold start out of NYC it was nice to enjoy a quiet restful sea day. The air temperature didn't warm up to enjoy the outside until after 2 on Sunday. The ship had plenty to do and entertainment for us and the kids. The entertainment staff was fantastic!! The food was wonderful although the buffet was a little too crazy for my taste, I really enjoyed all of the sit down restaurants. Not one bad meal. The ship was easy to get around, once we got our bearing. We were on the 9th level in the front (a little bumpy coming home) but it was easy to get to the main activity levels on 6 and 7 as well as 11 to 13. Our steward was amazing!!! The room was impressive since we were sleeping 4 in one balcony suite. My daughter loved that her bed came out of the ceiling to form a bunk over her brother who was on the pull out sofa.

Pros: Relaxing itinerary, entertainment, ports of call

Cons: Kid's Club

Recommends Norwegian Gem? Yes!

My kids did not like the Kid's Club at all. Ages 10-12 were in a meeting room on deck 6 where they rolled a ball back and forth. Ages 6-9 were in a room that looked like a toddler room at most daycare centers. Both kids wished they could go to the teen room as that looked very fun.
Mainly have great things to say about the entertainment staff and our steward....FANTASTIC attitude and personable. The dining staff was spotty with personable service. Will try another cruise line in the future to compare "cruise dining" to Freestyle dining.
Plenty to do or not to do depending on your mood. Came home disappointed that I didn't have a list of choices for entertainment when I got up in my own bed!!
Plenty to do, easy to get around.
Tons of variety, really good food. How does anyone cruise and not overeat!
Very organized for such a small space. Bathrooms (as on all cruise ships) are challenging by their small size but definitely useable and clean. We loved that the kids beds were "put away" during the day. Ceiling Murphy Bed was immensely cool!
We opted for the Blue Lagoon Sea Lion Encounter. It is less expensive than the dolphins and a smaller group which we liked. We ended up buying a ton of pictures and the DVD of our adventure ($130, yikes!). Some people were smart and had one person stay out of the water and take pictures and video! I recommend that. The staff was extremely knowledgeable and kind. If we weren't so sunburned from the day before we would have stayed there all day. Set up like Great Stirrup Cay with barely any people. No food options except chips and bottle beverages. They had sandwiches but ran out. There are showers and great, clean bathroom facilities.
Port Canaveral, Florida
Went to Universal Studios Island of Adventure. It is only for a half day so preplanning where you absolutely must go should be done ahead of time.
Great Stirrup Cay (Cruiseline Private Island), Bahamas
This is the dream sitting on the beach with a beverage in hand reading or lounging spot. Get there early so you get a chair and tents were available which I wish we had gotten since my husband and son burned. Water was warm and clear. Loads of fish to see when snorkling!!