Norwegian Escape Cruise Review to Caribbean - Eastern

Sail Date: April 09, 2016

Let me start off by stating that my wife and I have never cruised before and we are both in our 50s. We weren't quite sure what to expect. I value others opinions but also want to make my own decisions, so I sort of take reviews like movie/restaurant critics, where I like to use my own judgment. I view the glass as half-full, not half empty.

We booked the guarantee balcony and chose the Ultimate Beverage Package and 250 internet minutes (4 kids/work access). We were given a room on the 10th floor, just 1 room away from what was considered mid-ship. Our excitement for this cruise was over the top, just like when you were a kid on Christmas Eve. From the moment we arrived on Saturday, 4/9 until we left on 4/16, the entire cruise was amazing.

We had a variety of drinks (all great), including Guinness (in the can) in the pub, along with many frozen and premium cocktails. We ate in the Manhattan room 3 times, along with Savor and Taste 1 time each, the buffet (seafood night) 1 night and the pub 1 night. The food was quite good and you could get as much of what you wanted. Some nights we had 2 appetizers each and an entree, along with dessert. The service was superb, the staff was friendly and the overall experience of this cruise was memorable. Make sure you do the ropes course. It is well-worth the butterflies you will feel. It is a rush!

I have to give 5 stars to the Cruise Director, Silas Cook, along with Andre, his Asst. CD and their staff. I don't know where they get their energy from, but they go from early morning to late at night and they really do a great job.

Since this was our first cruise, I have nothing to compare it to. I did have some issues, though minor in nature, but the chair situation in and around the pools. needs to be addressed. There were way too many chairs reserved (towels, magazines, etc.) that went unused for a lengthy period of time. I also thought the ports were well done, except more time should be provided in St. Thomas and Tortola.

The room for the 2 of us was plenty big. It offered more than enough storage space and hangers for our (over-packed) belongings. It was clean, well-appointed and our attendant, Lloyd, went above and beyond during our stay.
Easy on and easy off.
Must do the ropes course and the water tube slides. Enjoy the assorted hot tubs and Spice H2O (adults only day time) and the grotto.
Plenty of things to do, with lots of dancing. The "White Hot" night was great, though too much techno beat music for my liking. I still feel the thump thump thump........
Silas Cook - if only I could bottle your energy. Thank you for an amazing cruise experience. You and your staff, along with all the bartenders, wait staff and our room attendant, Lloyd, were fantastic.
The complimentary dining rooms offer a nice variety of options, the food is very good and the desserts are fantastic.
Miami, Florida
Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas
Take the Champagne Catamaran Snorkel Trip to St. John (Honeymoon Beach). The scenery is spectacular and the water is great for snorkeling. After snorkeling, take a cab to Magens Bay Beach, then once you are there, head away from the crowds and enjoy 1 of the top 10 beaches in the world.
Tortola, British Virgin Islands
Great island but make sure to go to Virgin Gorda/Baths - a sure bucket list item. The caves are a bit tight, so if you are claustrophobic, beware.
Go to Junkanoo Beach. It is about a 15-minute walk from the port. Great beach, drinks and food. Don't worry about the vendors, just tell them no thank you and they will leave you alone.

Go on a diet and lose at least 10 lbs before your cruise. Take the stairs as much as possible as you can justify eating dessert more often.

Put something bright on your luggage/handle/strap, etc. that will easily identify your luggage when you disembark.