Norwegian Dawn Cruise Review to Canada, New England, New York

Beautiful upgrades, but would not repeat for cool climate cruise

Sail Date: September 09, 2016

Reviewed: 1 month ago

Traveled As: Family w/young children

I convinced my husband to try Norwegian after a great experience on the Breakaway.  Even with all of the beautiful upgrades, the boat lacks a good flow on the common floors and lacks a lot of interior common space during cool weather. We took a Holland America cruise to Alaska and still felt that we could enjoy the outdoors and scenery while staying warm.  Not so on the Dawn.  I would recommend HA for a cool-weather cruise.

I also told my husband there would be more young people on Norwegian than on HA; perhaps it was the time of year, but there were only a handful of "30-somethings".  We were looking forward to a more vibrant crowd...

The lines were very long and disorganized at ports.  Especially Gaspe with a Tender and Disembarkation.  Poor  communication.

The staff was very friendly with our daughter (age 2) but the kids menu was quite poor: fast food type items (chicken fingers/mac n cheese/pbj/pizza) all served with potato chips and did not change from restaurant to restaurant.  No veggie or fruit options whatsoever.  I would have given her more of my food, but the wait for each course made this difficult for a little one.

Certainly not the same experience that I had with the Breakaway in 2013...

We reserved the room in Jan/Feb 2016 and requested a pack n play. The agent should have recommended a different room because it was physically impossible to fit the crib in. The ship was completely booked so we had no other option. We ultimately had the cabin steward remove extra furniture and push both the beds against the wall to make room for the crib.
Hard to enjoy activities with a toddler that goes to bed at 7 PM! Looking forward to when she will be old enough to go to the children's programs.
Boston, Massachusetts
Portland, Maine
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island
Gaspe, Quebec
Go with a norwegian excursion because the tender process was awful.
La Baie, Quebec
Quebec City, Quebec
disembarkation process was very slow and disorganized. beautiful town.

Beautiful ship but at capacity its very cramped. Would not recommend for a cool-weather cruise. Not enough common areas that stay warm.