Fabulous First Cruise

Norwegian Dawn Cruise Review to Caribbean - Southern

11 Night Exotic Southern Caribbean (New York Roundtrip)
Sail Date: April 23, 2007
Ship: Norwegian Dawn
We sailed on the Norwegian Dawn cruise to the Caribbean from New York. The ship was well maintained and the staff were exceptional. The embarkation and disembarkation processes were handled flawlessly.

We did not encounter any problems except for some delays at Cagney's Steak House. We happened to be dining with some friends of friends who were already well lit and quite impatient. The dining staff took an unbelievable amount of grief from these folks because of the delays. The sober ones amoungst us were embarassed enough but the staff took it in stride and never once lost control. I know I would have thrown them overboard. I cannot say enough about the quality of the dining staff.

The onboard entertainment was OK. I would have to give it a middle of the road rating only because there were some exceptional acts and some real stinkers. Someone should tell the illusionists that he shouldn't attempt levitation on a moving vessel. His swaying from the invisible wire took the magic out of the moment. Another interesting juggling act lost control of some of his props and hit a poor ederly gentlemen in the audience.

The ships cruise directors really made for some exciting entertainment on the cruise. From the moment we stepped on the ship to the moment we disembarked they made the voyage all worth while.

All areas of the ship were well maintained. The decor was colorful but not overwhelming.

The stateroom was 'cozy' but with enough room for two adults comfortably. We had a balcony room which I highly recommend. The extra dollars are absolutely worth it. The stateroom staff just about lives under your bed it seems. No sooner you leave your state room and someone has already tended the room. No matter what the hour. It was amazing!
I'm not going to rate every one of the ports we visited. Suffice it to say we stopped at all the ports. Took a shore excursion on each. What we learned, at least for this cruise, was all the excursions seemed to be similar. Rain Forest, Beach, Caribbean Dining, Shopping, etc. I'd recommend going on at least one however you can just as easily take a cab off the boat for a tour of the island for less money or venture out on your own walking or renting. I will add that some of the island inhabitants were quite aggressive when it came to sales. They would get in your face as you tried to disembark and got quite nasty if you didn't buy anything from them. I understand that some of these islands, if not all, are fairly impoversed but some of the folks were down right nasty. Not all. We met some very friendly locals as well and overall the islands were breath-taking.

Pros: Ships Amenities

Cons: Shore Excursions

Recommends Norwegian Dawn? Yes!