Always a great time aboard the Norwegian

Norwegian Breakaway Cruise Review

Cruises: 4-6 cruises

Overall rating:

Norwegian Breakaway

7 Night Western Caribbean (Miami Roundtrip)

Sail date: July 28, 2019

Ship: Norwegian Breakaway

Cabin type: Suite

Cabin number: 9830

Traveled as: Family (young children)

Review summary

We always enjoy Norwegian Cruise Lines. We have never booked with another cruise line so I cant say I can compare with any others. But from what we have heard from other sailors they seem to love NCL over other cruise lines. this was our 4th cruise and I can certainly see some changes from our first in 2012 that is disappointing but overall still an amazing fun experience and if we didn’t know differently it probably wouldn’t make much of a difference.

Embarkation

No issues with embarking. We arrived around 11 and walked right on the boat after going through security.

Ship experiences

The food was superb. We enjoyed checking out the different cuisines offered at Maderno for lunch. Breakfast is good there too. The buffets are good for a late night snack or anytime you need a snack. We enjoyed grabbing ice cream through out the day. Taste and Savor are also nice for something different. For specialty dining we only visited Cagneys and enjoyed it very much.

My husband and daughter did the ropes course, I didn’t get to this time but have done it before on the identical cruise the Getaway and loved it. My 6 year old did the little kids version and he seemed to get a kick out of it too. Same thing with the rock climbing wall, didn’t get to it this time but did it on the Getaway. Another fun activity, I love that NCL offers these kinds of things to keep you busy on a sea day, especially for someone like me who can’t sit still for too long. The pools are ok. They are overly crowded on sea days, but that’s to be expected. I wish they could be a little bit bigger, but again, it’s a cruise ship where space is limited. And good luck finding a lounge chair on a sea day if you don’t get out there early. We didn’t go to the gym, but it looked very nice and they offer a lot of classes and machines, most classes cost a fee.

Another area we have always enjoyed, they usually do a great job. We didn’t take advantage of this as much as we have in the past because my parents were able to take the kids around with them when needed care. My son also seemed to be turned off pretty quickly and I think it was because during most the time he was there they did drills.

Staff is always good. I gave it a four star because nothing exceptional. The staff around the boat didn’t seem to interact with us and the kids as much in the past. Some of the workers seemed stressed or overwhelmed. The cabin stewardess was good and nice, but again nothing exceptional. They don’t leave you towel animals in your room anymore, we found out later you now have to ask. They did what they needed but nothing more.

Always beautiful. No issues with cleanliness.

Balcony suite- It was nice. Only complaint is the balcony was directly over a (not sure what’s it called) overhang (?) which took away from the view a bit, but was still a beautiful view.

Ship tip

Be prepared to be nickeled and dimed. You can certainly enjoy yourself by not spending a lot of money but if you want the full experience you will be spending some money.

Ports of call

Coxen Hole, Roatan, Bay Islands, Honduras

My favorite port. Nothing beats playing with the monkeys. This is the second time we have done this excursion, booked off the boat for less than half the price of onboard. This time they included hugging sloths as well. So much fun. I don’t recall the name of the group we booked through but our tour guide was Mitchell and he was fantastic, he charged us $80 for a group of six, additional $10 fee per person for the Gumbalina zoo entry.

Harvest Caye, Belize

It’s pretty. Nice to get out and enjoy the beach and pool and kids splash zone but other than that its just as much fun if not more fun being on the boat.

Costa Maya (Mahahual), Mexico

I didn’t spend a lot of time on the island this time around but have in the past. We enjoyed visiting the ruins on our cruise before, again booked off of the boat.

Another one of our favorite ports. This was the first time we booked an excursion, also off the boat. It was fun, he took us around to the beach, and some yours, and shops. I think I enjoy just walking around and venturing off on our own more though. Maybe next time try a different excursion.

Disembarkation

Probably my biggest complaint. It was the messiest, unorganized experience. I’m not sure if it’s because we disembarked later than we have in the past but we had to stand in a line that wound all the way through one floor of the ship. It took a good half hour/45 mins. Just to get off the boat.