Queen of Mediocre

Norwegian Breakaway Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

Cruises: 4-6 cruises

Overall rating:

Norwegian Breakaway

7 Night Western Caribbean (New Orleans Roundtrip)

Sail date: December 23, 2018

Ship: Norwegian Breakaway

Cabin type: Balcony

Traveled as: Family (older children)

Review summary

We have been on 4 cruises in the past 13 months. (Regent 7 seas, RC, Princess)This was our least favorite. We had a few issues that the staff could have been more accomodating concerning the drink package. My husband is deathly allergic to alcohol but was forced to purchase the packages in order for me to have the package. I really wanted this line to be my favorite because I had been on a NCL cruise in 1976 and 1982 and loved it. Of course they have no record of those cruises.

Embarkation

Friendly people in New Orleans and efficient

Ship experiences

Food was nothing special. I was expecting a tiny bit of Cajun influence since we sailed from New Orleans But no. They did have a Mardi Gras night in the cafe, with no King Cake. Food was adequate but nothing out standing.

No fans in the fitness center which was crowded and stuffy. Plenty of towels there though. It was clean. Pools were too crowded to even think about getting in. It was hard to get chairs together (there were 8 of us). Nobody ever walked around the pool (or cafe) taking drink orders. it was wait in line for 20 min for a drink.

Some of our group enjoyed the watching the game shop. Stage shows sold out.

Our room Steward, Jamie was wonderful.

rooms seem smaller compared to other ships. In our sons balcony room, there was no standing room between the bed and closet. ship was clean. The public bathrooms on deck 6 (i think) were always out of service with fans blowing to dry the floor. Kinda gross to think about. Ceilings were low compared to other ships we've been on this year.

10786.

Ports of call

New Orleans, Louisiana

New Orleans (5 stars for NOLA) was the best part of this cruise. The other ports were basically shopping stops. The chichen itza excursion from Cozumel was a 3 hour each way trip including a 1 hour ferry ride that causes numerous ppl to throw up. Chichen Itza is a must see but im not fond of seasickness nor being around seasick people.

shop shop shop

Harvest Caye, Belize

Nice beach and all but I got no flavor for Belize. Crowded of course.

Costa Maya (Mahahual), Mexico

Shop Shop Shop. very commercial.

Disembarkation

We left the boat at about 8:30. plenty of cabs. flat rate of $8 per person. no trouble finding our bags. Ground people were super nice and friendly.