Norwegian Breakaway Cruise Review to Caribbean - Bahamas

NCL Breakaway Bahama Cruise Review.

Sail Date: November 22, 2015

We are experienced Cruisers and decided to give Norwegian Cruise Lines a try on one of their newest ships, the Breakaway.  We found our room to be small with no drawers to put clothes in. Instead there were open shelves inside the one closet in the room, above and below the safe. It made for an uncomfortable experience every time we dressed. No light in the closet. Just awkward and open shelves on either side of the beds not end tables. Didn't like seeing my night stuff out on these shelves.      When dining there was the "Manhatttan Room", the main large dining room. It's modeled after famous night clubs of the past from NY City.  The first night we eat there, a piano player was trying to set a mood in the room but I couldn't help to notice how loud the diners were. And the best was there were 4 little kids running around the dance floor playing tag the whole time this poor woman was trying to play the piano.  And I was choking down my food because I thought this was totally outrageous. But no one said a thing and my entire meal was disturbed.  In addition I couldn't help notice how dressed down people were in all the dining rooms. Shorts, tees and sandles  seem to be the norm.  I really believe NCL carries the meaning of Free Style to the extreme.  You shouldn't dress in the main dining room the way you would in McDonalds.  I thought there was a basic dress code on the ship but that wasn't the case at all and I believe  it brought down the overall look and feel of the cruise. It was real low brow and low class as far as I'm concerned. There were two other medium size dining rooms which happened to be directly opposite each other on the same deck with the exact same decor.  Only their names were different.  One was " Savor" and the other was "Taste".  After about a day I realized that the menu was the same in all three dining rooms and the menu changed very little from day to day. That was a big disappointment for us.  The food was OK, nothing spectacular and I ate way too much beef because the menu was so mundane.     The buffet on the top deck was also a big disappointment. It was overly crowded, loud, without much of a selection.     O'Sheehan's pub at breakfast  was a welcome change from the madness at the buffet  because you got served by a waitress and ate at a leisurley pace but that menu was exactly the same every day.  And would you believe they didn't even serve pancakes for breakfast.       The pools and hot tubs appeared way too small for the crowds that jammed the decks on the couple of sunny days we had.  We had to really struggle to find a couple of empty lounge chairs even on the upper decks.        Our room was situated a few floors above the theater.  So during most days and most nights when the theater was putting on a production or practicing, there was a bass drum beat that rocked and vibrated through the entire room.  The ship was full and no where else for us to go. I spoke to Guest Relations and they did comp us one of the shows but that was another strike against this trip.  I could go on but I've said enough.

No drawers. Very far from everything. We were over the theater and that's not good.
I thought Rock of Ages was a weird choice for entertainment. Risque, long and silly.
For the most part the crew was outstanding. They put themselves out every day.
Nothing special