Norwegian Breakaway Cruise Review to Caribbean - Bahamas

Contributor Level: First Mate

Great First Cruise Experience

Sail Date: December 15, 2013

Cabin: 1552

At our cruise time, this ship had only a few months under its belt. My wife, son and myself had never been on a cruise before and were fairly clueless what to expect. My daughter and son-in-law at this point had been on two Carnival cruises, so they could shed a little light on the experience.

The worst part of the experience was departing after a moderate snowfall in New York City. The temperature was anything but pleasant. I am not sure I would ever depart from a northern port during the winter months again. The first and last day of the seven day cruise were spent in cooler temperatures.

The cruise director, Sinan, was absolutely awesome. The entertainment, especially Rock of Ages and Burn the Floor, was fantastic. The comedy was not my taste, as I am not a large fan of improv. The food was excellent. While the ocean-view cabin was not huge, it wasn't less than I expected. The service staff was friendly and committed to the passenger experience.

The entire family had a great time. This experience sold us on cruising.

Cruise Photos

Didn't get off in Port Canaveral, as we had been to Florida a number of times. Then, we had to bypass the private island due to high winds and rough surf. Nassau was okay - we purchased the Atlantis day pass - but I felt that it was just a southern extension of Florida.
Rock of Ages had this 80s hair band fan out of his chair. My wife really enjoyed Burn the Floor.
The cruise director, Sinan, was outstanding.
New York, New York
Rating would be different if we hadn't departed after a moderate snow fall. My wife and kids had never been to New York, but it was snowy and the wind was cutting right through us.
Port Canaveral, Florida
Great Stirrup Cay (Cruiseline Private Island), Bahamas
we had to bypass the island due to high winds and rough surf.