Norwegian Breakaway Cruise Review to Bermuda

Third Mate

Very Very Disappointed

Sail Date: May 31, 2015

I have always traveled on Royal Caribbean but decided I wanted to try another cruise line out of New York instead of Florida.  What a mistake!  Maybe I'm spoiled with the Service at RCL or the Size of the Cabins or the Food Choices.  I found Norwegian Breakaway lacking in all aspects.  The cabins and Corridors were smaller but I knew before hand that would be the case.  I didn't know their Cabins would be dark and dreary since RCL has bright bright sea foam colors in their decor making even their Inside Cabins bright.  We had no shelves in the bathroom and had to put our toiletries and use them in the sleeping areas.  The 3rd pull out bed was directly over my husband and he knocked his head once.  I had no control of the lightening since it was on his side of the bed and it was difficult to get to it.  The Cabin Steward did just the basics and did not go out of his way to accomadate us.  I had to ask for Ice and xtra glasses since he only laid out 2 and there were 3 of us.  I had to ask for an xtra box of tissues and a second wastebasket since the only one in the room was in the bathroom and I wanted one in the Vanity Area.  He said OK on the tissues but didn't think he could get me a second wastebasket. At one point I saw him press his lips when my grandson made a request.  The waiters seemed "harried" and gave the distinct feeling they wanted you to finish up so they could start cleaning.  I encountered a rude person also at Guest Services when I asked her a question.  Except for George Colin in the Manhattan Room, no waiter went out of their way to make us feel welcomed, no personal contact. My personal opinion is that since they automatically charge your credit card for the Service Charge aka Gratuities, which is split amongst the staff, there is no incentive for the staff to take that xtra step.  Was not happy with the meal variety either.  Although there were 3 complimentary restaurants, they offered the same menu; when we went to the "Uptown Grill" for a quick bite I felt as if I were eating a dirty McDonalds! I will spare you the details. The pools were small and overcrowded also.  I could go on and on about my disappointments, however I will say as another reviewer has, Entourage for Teens was very good; my grandson had a great time and we barely saw him, couldn't get him down for dinner or photos! There are a lot of activities for the kids. However, that being said, Royal Caribbean, here I come!

Dark Decor
Stewards and Waiters don't go out of their way to please you
Entourage for Teens good
Options too expensive

Garden Buffet over crowded, not enough variety. Uptown Grill dirty, Watch out for the drunks.