Norwegian Breakaway Cruise Review to Caribbean - Bahamas

Third Mate

Big Boat; Bad Weather; Still Pretty Good

Sail Date: February 15, 2015

We have cruised 8 times before, 5 of which were on Norwegian. We tried the Breakaway because we love cruising out of NYC and the Great Stirrup Cay day is our favorite. We prefer a smaller boat (already booked for the Gem next February) and the weather did not cooperate so we missed Great Stirrup Cay. It's also hard to determine whether I would have preferred the bigger ship if the weather was better (likely yes, but I'm not sure). That being said, we still had a good time. I would like to give this 3.5 stars, but that's not an option.

A bit too big for our liking, but as long as you knew where to go/not go at peak times, it was easy to stay away from the huge crowds.
I would say it's good, not great, but having to choose betwen Great and OK, I choose Great. Burger joint on high deck was really good; finally ate at a bunch of specialty restaurants. Prefer the food on the Gem.
Again, would like to put Good, not Great or OK, but honestly, the staff on the smaller boats we've been on were more open, available, etc. Some staff were great though.
Very good entertainment. As much as I prefer the smaller boats, the entertainment in the Theater on Breakaway was better than I've seen on Gem et al.
Because of the weather we didn't participate in a lot of onboard activities. Again, I would say Good, Not Great but more than Ok.
Bad weather severely impeded enjoyment. But we were able to salvage a snorkeling excursion in Nassau thanks to a great Tourism Guide on the pier.
We love this location and had a connecting cabin with our children. Plenty of space but few drawers (bring a collapsible basket for underwear and socks). Shower heads don't have options for changing water pressure, so not as good as on Gem et al.
New York, New York
I live here - anything/everything is great.
Port Canaveral, Florida
Stayed on boat and enjoyed water slides.
Great Stirrup Cay (Cruiseline Private Island), Bahamas Skipped because of weather.
Nassau, Bahamas Snorkeling with Bahama Divers (local joint which mostly serves hotels, not cruise ships)

Eating at 6/6:15 prevented any wait in the main dining rooms. Burger joint (cannot remember name) was great (albeit a long wait - but worth it). If you are prone to seasickness, the large ship was great for not rocking too much.

1 Comment