My first Cruise

Nieuw Amsterdam Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

Nieuw Amsterdam

7 Night Western Caribbean (Ft. Lauderdale Roundtrip)

Sail Date: December 16, 2018

Ship: Nieuw Amsterdam

Reviewed: 1 month ago

Review Summary

I was told that this line was mostly used by older white people. I was surprised that there was a mix of ages, races, and cultures to interact with. I was very comfortable.

Embarkation

It went well, despite our initial confusion at check-in. We got reasonably clear instructions.

Ship Experiences

We ate in the Main Dining Room. Should be clearer about which drinks were free. We were charged for soft drinks. Thought that only alcoholic drinks were charged.

I had no desire to go to the pool. Overrun with children and heavy smokers.

The comedian was great, but I don't think everyone in the audience could relate.

We had no children with us.

Everyone was friendly and attentive.

Very clean. Beautiful design. The best I've seen.

I expected a room too small for me to move in. I was wrong. It was good use of a small space. Always clean. Bathroom always stocked.

Get a massage. Ask for Bweti.

Ports Of Call

Ft. Lauderdale (Port Everglades), Florida

Did not do an excursion. If you don't have a car (which we didn't), shopping or even getting something to eat was hard. Not many choices.

Half Moon Cay, Bahamas (Private Island)

LOVED the glass-bottomed boat!

Ocho Rios, Jamaica

Didn't do an excursion. Chose to shop. Very aggressive shopkeepers.

George Town, Grand Cayman Did not visit port

The current was too strong for the tenders to navigate. Captain cancelled shore activity.

Spent the most time here. Excursion was cancelled due to lack of minimum numbers. We spent that time at a beach club for cheaper. Shopping was excellent. Bought our first rum cakes. Wow!

Disembarkation

Very orderly. Had help with our bags. I wish that there were more places to sit or access to wheelchairs while waiting for transportation.