MSC Sinfonia Cruise Review to Europe - Western Mediterranean

The Perfect Mediterranean Experience

Sail Date: June 25, 2006

The Sinfonia is a well appointed vessel with many new facilities and emenities. The staff, crew, entertainment, and service was excellent. From the reception staff to the food service staff, without exception everyone was genuinely kind, pleasant and accomidating. We could not have asked for better service. As I travel quite a bit for my profession, I have become accustom to five start accomidations and hospitality. I was very much at home on the Sinfonia. A truly exceptional experience.

Pros: Great locations, good excursions, wonderful facilities and a great stateroom!

Cons: Availability of food during the day

I have been on a few cruises, and have to say that the Sinfonia is well above average but not the best on the Sea. For those who demand marble countertops in their stateroom, or plenty of room by the pool, a larger vessel may be more appropriate. Some of the larger ships in the Caribbean will have more room. However, I found this to be the perfect Mediterranean cruise.
The quality of the food was good. Not excellent, but good. The dining times were fine. However, if you did not dine at the designated time, there simply wasn't any food available. For example, I would have been happy to pay for a bite of breakfast at 10:30 in the morning. However, this was NOT possible. They cleaned up the breakfast buffet at 09:30, and there was no other option. Coffee was available in the cafe, but nothing to eat. I found this to be rather disturbing, as I expected food available all day... even if it wasn't included in the cruise price.
With individual temperature control, I safe, a minibar with a little extra room for individual supplies, more than ample closet space, a wonderful port side view of the coast during our sail, plenty of water pressure, and even shelf space in the head for personal effects... it could not have been a more pleasant place to call home for a week of cruising.
As I mentioned in the overview, the friendliness of the staff and crew made this trip the most wonderful experience. From Paulo, the Cruise Director, the Valentino, our waiter in the evening, to Dunog, the Baliese gentlement that poured my martini in the evening... everyone was genuine, friendly, and simply pleasant company with which to travel.
The Entertainment in the San Carlo theatre was exceptional. Of particular interest was the spanish dancing and the DGM dancers. I didn't miss a show. We also enjoyed a little dancing by the pool in the evening. This was quite lovely after dark, as the band set the right mood for a pleasant evening on board.
Barcelona, Spain
What can you say about Barcelona? I have spent many weeks there, and can always use another day.
Naples, Italy
Naples is a big city, with some wonderful history and interesting sites. I have been there a few times, so I spent this day simply strolling and having a bite to eat near Dante square.
Tunis, Tunisia
While there is not much time in Tunis, there is time to check out a few things. The bus will take you to Sidi Bou Siad, which is an interesting place to pick up some souveniers. Don't forget to get a tiny boquet of Jasmine or two. They are only one euro, and are a nice touch in the cabin back on board.
Don't Miss: Carthage is a must see for anyone with even a mild interest in history.
Palma De Mallorca, Balearic Islands
It was so warm here that we escaped to the shopping mall for a little shopping and some ice cream. This is a great place to pick up a few necessities as the avilability is great (short walk to a well equipped mall), and the prices are what one would expect anywhere in Europe.
Palermo, Sicily
A great place to see another side of Italy. The people are very friendly, and the city has everything to offer. I would suggest taking a taxi to some of the lesser known churches in town, as they are really beautiful. Many also offer spectacular views of the island and sea.